Balfour Beatty secures contract for £60m state of the art learning and teaching facility in Glasgow
12 September 2018
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today announces that it has been selected by the University of Strathclyde to deliver its new £60 million learning and teaching building.
The contract, worth £33m, has been awarded through the University’s Major Building Construction framework, to which Balfour Beatty was appointed in February 2018.
Balfour Beatty will be responsible for the refurbishment and extension to the existing Grade II listed Architecture building and the neighbouring Colville building, linking the two together to create a modern teaching space.
Facilities provided in the new Learning & Teaching building will include a new large-scale teaching spaces and a learning village for individual study, student-facing support services and a modern, purpose built accommodation for the University of Strathclyde Students’ Association.
Additionally, Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick will provide the mechanical and electrical engineering services for the new state-of-the-art learning hub.
Hector MacAulay, Balfour Beatty’s Regional Managing Director for Scotland and Ireland, said: “This award is testament to our long-standing relationship with the University of Strathclyde and to our expert knowledge and experience in delivering modern educational facilities across Scotland.
“With almost 23,000 students based on the central Glasgow campus, we look forward to providing an exciting and inspiring environment, while also delivering multiple social and economic benefits to the surrounding community.”
Work is due to commence on site later this year, with completion expected in summer 2020. At construction peak, the project will employ a workforce of over 200, providing local employment opportunities and graduate positions.
Image: Balfour Beatty signing contract with the University of Strathclyde
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty has been operating in Scotland for over a century. Today, the company employs 2,000 people across Scotland and works with a supply chain that includes a substantial proportion of local businesses.
- The company’s construction business recently completed the award winning Holyrood Student Accommodation development, providing 1,180 student beds within the World Heritage Site of Holyrood in the City of Edinburgh and the construction of a Typhoon Propulsion Service Facility to support the rebuild and supply of the EJ200 engines used by 3 Typhoon Squadron.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio include the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route which will improve the transport network in Aberdeen and across the north east of Scotland, the £14m Almondbank Flood Defence Scheme to deliver a series of flood defences along the River Almond and construct a temporary flood storage unit and the Perth Transport Futures project which will see the creation of a new junction on the A9 dual carriageway to support growth in Scotland’s third busiest region.
- Iconic projects of the past include the construction of the new Elgin High School, the first school delivered by Balfour Beatty on behalf of hub North Scotland, the refurbishment of Forth Bridge which carries the East Coast Mainline over the Firth of Forth and the Fife General Hospital and Maternity Services provision which centralises specialist in-patient, acute and emergency services on one site.