Balfour Beatty completes Alexandra Head event area ahead of Volvo Ocean Race Cardiff Stopover
08 February 2018
The circa £1.2 million Alexandra Head scheme to construct a new events area has officially opened in Cardiff Bay. Procured through Scape’s National Civil Engineering and Infrastructure framework, this project was delivered by Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, on behalf of Cardiff Council.
The Alexandra Head events area will host the Volvo Ocean Race Cardiff Stopover set to reach the Capital in May this year.
Balfour Beatty was appointed as main contractor for Alexandra Head in 2017, following close collaboration with Cardiff Port Authority and Cardiff Council, to provide the most cost effective and high-quality design solution.
Kevin Adlington, Balfour Beatty Project Manager, said: “We are delighted to hand the Alexandra Head scheme over to Cardiff Council on schedule, providing the events space necessary to host the Volvo Round the World Yacht Race later this year.
“Through the project, we have made a significant and sustainable contribution to the local community, including working with Keep Wales Tidy to undertake a litter pick along approximately 1.5 miles of Cardiff Bay and supporting Cycle Training Wales to promote the benefits of cycling at Mount Stuart Primary School.”
Victoria Brambini, Managing Director of Scape Procure, comments: “We are delighted with the positive results that have been generated through this collaboration of all stakeholders, including our delivery partner Balfour Beatty and Cardiff Council, that proactively supports the goals of the Well-being of Future Generations Act. Not only will the new events area allow the council to successfully host the event in May, providing a positive economic boost to the local area, but throughout the project social value has been contributed to within the local community through the creation of sustainable training opportunities and support for local suppliers and SMEs.”
Balfour Beatty is the sole contractor on the £1.5 billion, four year Scape National Civil Engineering and Infrastructure framework. The framework allows Public Sector organisations to commission works through a procurement process that provides the fastest route to market and utilises early contractor engagement to deliver the best value engineering solutions.
Image: New events area in Cardiff Bay
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 30,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s UK and Ireland regional construction business is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s and Ireland’s national infrastructure and an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
About Scape Group:
- Scape Group is a public-sector organisation, dedicated to creating ongoing efficiency and social value via the built environment. Scape and its subsidiaries offer fully managed frameworks, property services, innovative design solutions, community investment opportunities and joint ventures.
- By bringing together the strongest teams from the public and private sectors, Scape’s rapidly deployed, highly measurable and collaborative approach delivers value for money and quality buildings whilst stimulating local economic growth and community enrichment. Scape operates with a buying capacity of £13bn and has helped to deliver over 2,400 public sector projects with more than 1,700 currently in progress. Last year, Scape Group was named the ‘Best Client to Work With’ across the public and private sector, at the annual Construction Enquirer Awards.
- For more information visit: www.scapegroup.co.uk