‘The understanding man behind the brand’: Managing Director of Balfour Beatty Living Places features in Highways Magazine
20 June 2019
Balfour Beatty Living Places Managing Director, Steve Helliwell, is featured in an exclusive interview with Highways Magazine discussing how progressive relationships with local authorities can drive added value to contracts.
The interview explores the recommendations outlined in Balfour Beatty’s paper, Road to Resilience: Driving a robust local roads network, focusing on the importance of prioritising funding towards local road maintenance and the long-term approach required to ensure the UK’s local road network is fit for purpose.
Steve explains that with the support of its customers, Balfour Beatty Living Places is leveraging advanced engineering and innovative solutions such as velocity patching to maximise benefits to customers while ensuring funding is spent wisely.
The article also outlines Balfour Beatty Living Places unique offering to local authorities; combining its expertise in highways maintenance with access to the company’s wider expert capabilities.
In the interview, Steve Helliwell, said: “I do believe that the market is starting to smarten up and recognise that capability exists through a long-term strategic relationship. We’ve got 15 or 16 local authority contracts and they’re all in good shape.”
To read the article in full, please click here.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty Living Places works in long-term partnerships with local authorities to create great places to live, work and play. We actively engage with local people to understand the needs of the communities we work in and shape the places where local economies can thrive and grow. As a leader in sustainable working, diversity and social value, we use our expertise to bring real, positive change for our customers. We leave a legacy of connected communities with strong local economies that really work for local people with clean, safe and prosperous streets and social spaces.
- The business has developed a wealth of experience across the UK. Current projects include a £24m per annum highways maintenance contract with Warwickshire County Council, a £20.8m per annum public realm services partnership with Herefordshire Council, and a £10.6m per annum highways services contract with Southampton City Council. Balfour Beatty Living Places also have a £100m highways street lighting PFI with Coventry City Council, a £175m highways street lighting PFI with Sunderland City Council and a £175m highways street lighting PFI with South Tyneside MB Council.
- Recently completed Balfour Beatty Living Places projects include the £4m highway network term maintenance contract on behalf of Wokingham Borough Council, and a £400,000 street lighting maintenance term contract for Wokingham Borough Council.