Balfour Beatty scoops ‘Inclusive Workplace’ employer award
07 May 2019
Balfour Beatty was commended at the Scottish Union of Supported Employment (SUSE) awards ceremony this week, as it secured the 2019 ‘Inclusive Workplace’ employer award.
The award, presented by Scottish Minister for Business, Fair Work and Skills, Jamie Hepburn, recognises Balfour Beatty’s proactive and positive approach to supporting employees with disabilities, as well as retaining and assisting those with poor mental health.
The SUSE awards is an annual celebration of businesses in Scotland recognising those which help people with disabilities succeed and progress in the workplace.
Balfour Beatty was acknowledged for its flexible recruitment practices and its inclusive policies and procedures that promote equality and fight discrimination.
Hector MacAulay, Balfour Beatty’s Regional Managing Director of Scotland and Ireland, said: “We are delighted to have won the ‘Inclusive Workplace’ employer award.
“As a major employer and contributor to the Scottish economy, we have a responsibility to promote social inclusion; breaking down the barriers in recruitment and the providing support through employment. We are proud to be recognised for the work we are doing at Balfour Beatty to create a truly inclusive workplace.”
Balfour Beatty has a long standing commitment to equal opportunity having launched its Diversity and Inclusion Affinity Networks in 2016. The company is a founding member of Mates in Mind, a programme delivered to the UK construction industry with the support of the Health in Construction Leadership Group, which aims to create a flexible and joined-up approach to break the silence and stigma surrounding mental health in society in general and construction in particular.
Image: Balfour Beatty receiving award from Jamie Hepburn on behalf of SUSE
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty has been operating in Scotland for over a century. Today, the company employs 2,000 people across Scotland and works with a supply chain that includes a substantial proportion of local businesses.
- The company’s construction business recently completed the award winning Holyrood Student Accommodation development, providing 1,180 student beds within the World Heritage Site of Holyrood in the City of Edinburgh and the construction of a Typhoon Propulsion Service Facility to support the rebuild and supply of the EJ200 engines used by 3 Typhoon Squadron.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio include the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route which will improve the transport network in Aberdeen and across the north east of Scotland, the £14m Almondbank Flood Defence Scheme to deliver a series of flood defences along the River Almond and construct a temporary flood storage unit and the Perth Transport Futures project which will see the creation of a new junction on the A9 dual carriageway to support growth in Scotland’s third busiest region.
- Iconic projects of the past include the construction of the new Elgin High School, the first school delivered by Balfour Beatty on behalf of hub North Scotland, the refurbishment of the Forth Bridge which carries the East Coast Mainline over the Firth of Forth and the Fife General Hospital and Maternity Services project which centralised specialist in-patient, acute and emergency services on one site.