A class of their own: Balfour Beatty helps students visualise the future of the construction industry
09 April 2018
Balfour Beatty has partnered with Class of your Own, Design Engineer Construct! (DEC!) to deliver practical training and advice to over 60 pupils studying at Harris Academy in Dundee.
DEC! is an accredited learning programme developed to create and inspire the next generation of Built Environment professionals. Through a project-based approach, the programme applies academic subjects to the latest construction industry practices, providing young-people with real-world experience and employability skills.
Balfour Beatty has enabled a number of learning sessions to support pupils enrolled on the programme in developing 3D models. Facilitated by industry experts working on the Dundee Flood Protection Scheme and Dundee Railway Station and Hotel development, students were given the opportunity to visualise and improve their designs using the latest innovative technologies, including Virtual Reality and Autodesk Revit software.
Balfour Beatty will continue this momentum, with further sessions planned with students at Perth Academy. The approach further supports Balfour Beatty’s commitment to The 5% Club, a UK employer-led initiative focused on creating momentum behind the recruitment of apprentices and graduates into the workforce.
Image: Harris Academy student using latest Virtual Reality technology during Balfour Beatty workshop
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, has been operating in Scotland for over a century. Today, the company employs 2,000 people across Scotland and works with a supply chain that includes a substantial proportion of local businesses.
- The company’s construction business recently completed the award winning Holyrood Student Accommodation development, providing 1,180 student beds within the World Heritage Site of Holyrood in the City of Edinburgh and the construction of a Typhoon Propulsion Service Facility to support the rebuild and supply of the EJ200 engines used by 3 Typhoon Squadron.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio include the Aberdeen Western Peripheral Route which will improve the transport network in Aberdeen and across the north east of Scotland, the £14m Almondbank Flood Defence Scheme to deliver a series of flood defences along the River Almond and construct a temporary flood storage unit and the Perth Transport Futures project which will see the creation of a new junction on the A9 dual carriageway to support growth in Scotland’s third busiest region.
- Iconic projects of the past include the refurbishment of Forth Bridge which carries the East Coast Mainline over the Firth of Forth, the Fife General Hospital and Maternity Services provision which centralises specialist in-patient, acute and emergency services on one site and the restoration and extension of Lewis Castle and Museum Nan Eilean to provide a new museum, archive and hospitality facility on the Isle of Lewis.