Parsons Brinckerhoff selected as Project Management Consultant for Roy Hill
05 March 2013
Parsons Brinckerhoff has signed an initial contract as the Project Management Consultant (PMC) for Roy Hill Holdings Pty Ltd (“Roy Hill”), a 55Mtpa iron ore pit-to-port project in Western Australia’s Pilbara region.
The AU$10 billion project is currently undergoing the due diligence process with international financiers to secure debt finance, with approval to proceed targeted for mid-year.
As PMC, Parsons Brinckerhoff will draw on its global resources, systems, and project management expertise to efficiently manage contracts throughout the execution phase in 2013 - 2015.
Emphasising the importance of this contract win, Parsons Brinckerhoff Global Mining Managing Director Mark Dimmock said the PMC team will be led by senior directors with superior technical and leadership capabilities.
‘This project spearheads the development of a new generation of integrated iron ore mining, rail, and port operations. ‘This requires a team with an ‘embedded’ depth of knowledge across the development lifecycle.
‘Their knowledge and experience means we have the ability to counter project challenges as they arise with effective design and implementation solutions,” said Mr Dimmock.
The Roy Hill Project is a low phosphorus, Marra Mamba iron ore deposit located in the Pilbara (one of the world’s premier iron ore provinces), with a defined mineralisation of more than 2.4 billion tonnes of +55% Fe iron ore, sufficient to sustain a mine life of more than 20 years.
A new 344-kilometre heavy haul railway will be constructed to link the mine and port, with new ore handling facilities, an ore stockyard, and two berths developed at Port Hedland. The first shipment of ore for export is scheduled for September 2015.
Early works have already been completed or are well advanced, including:
- port dredging
- internal mine roads, a 2.5-km sealed airstrip, and 2,200 bed permanent accommodation village
- four rail construction villages each holding 300 beds
- a 1,200 bed permanent village in Port Hedland
- a $50M integrated corporate headquarters and remote operations centre based in Perth.
The Roy Hill team will harness leading technology to drive optimum operational efficiency and manage risk and regulatory compliance. Systems will include proven information technology infrastructure and solutions; optic fibre communication links; an in-pit wireless mesh network in support of the project’s fleet management system; and a digital radio network.
Tel. +61 419 783 194
Notes to editors:
1. Parsons Brinckerhoff is a leader in developing and operating infrastructure around the world, with 14,000 employees dedicated to meeting the needs of clients and communities in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Australia-Pacific regions. The firm offers skills and resources in strategic consulting, planning, engineering, program/construction management, and operations for transportation, power, mining, water/wastewater, and community development projects. Parsons Brinckerhoff is part of Balfour Beatty, an international infrastructure services business operating in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.