Parsons Brinckerhoff awarded design and construct contract for Smith Street Motorway
03 February 2014
Parsons Brinckerhoff, together with joint venture partner Seymour Whyte, has been awarded the design and construct contract for the Smith Street Motorway and Olsen Avenue Interchange upgrade in Queensland.
The project, worth in excess of $50m, was awarded by the Department of Transport and Main Roads and involves the upgrade of the critical link between the new Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct and the Pacific Motorway.
Parsons Brinckerhoff’s Director of Transport, Mark Keogh commented that the structure of this joint venture is unique and represents a positive, strategic step forward for industry.
“We are pleased that Parsons Brinckerhoff and Seymour Whyte have joined together under a joint venture agreement to deliver this project, and will be trading as GC Connect Joint Venture.
“Both parties will share the risks and opportunities presented by the project, allowing for a focus on collaboration and for the delivery of best-for-project outcomes for our client and the community.
“This partnership demonstrates a positive step forward for the design and construction industry, and brings together two companies who are closely aligned in terms of our cultural, corporate and safety values.
“A key challenge for the project will be to ensure that all critical milestones are met, with construction set to commence in early 2014 and expected completion in mid-2015.” concluded Mr Keogh.
About the project
Smith Street Motorway links the Pacific Motorway (M1) and the new Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct in Parkwood, and is also a major connection between the M1 and the Gold Coast’s main tourism districts.
The Department of Transport and Main Roads has worked closely with the Department of Infrastructure and Planning, Queensland Health, Gold Coast City Council and Griffith University to ensure the roads’ network supports the new Gold Coast University Hospital, the planned expansion of the Griffith University campus and the first stage of the Gold Coast Rapid Transit project.
Project focus areas include:
- Providing capacity for future traffic volumes and emergency vehicle movements around the Gold Coast Health and Knowledge Precinct
- Allowing for greater traffic efficiency with extra through and turning lanes at the Smith Street Motorway/Olsen Avenue Interchange
- Facilitating access to the new Gold Coast University Hospital from Olsen Avenue and Smith Street
- Alleviating congestion for traffic entering and leaving the Smith Street Motorway
- Improving pedestrian access to the university through signalised crossings on Olsen Avenue
Tel. +61 2 4929 8330
Notes to editors:
1. Parsons Brinckerhoff is a leader in developing and operating infrastructure around the world, with 14,000 employees dedicated to meeting the needs of clients and communities in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia-Pacific regions. The firm offers skills and resources in strategic consulting, planning, engineering, program/construction management, and operations for transportation, power, mining, water/wastewater, and community development projects. Parsons Brinckerhoff is the professional services division of Balfour Beatty, an international infrastructure services organisation that also provides construction services, support services, and infrastructure investments.
2. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK and the USA, with developing businesses in Australia, Canada, the Middle East, South Africa and South East Asia.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors focus on infrastructure - transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, water, and complex buildings (both commercial and social).
Balfour Beatty employs 40,000 people around the world.