From humble roots to mighty elms: Managing Director of Balfour Beatty Living Places features in Ground Engineering Magazine
12 July 2019
Balfour Beatty Living Places Managing Director, Steve Helliwell, is featured in Ground Engineering Magazine discussing the successful delivery of foundation works at one of the largest regeneration projects in Europe - the One Nine Elms development in Vauxhall, London.
The article explores the complexities of the project and how Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering overcame these challenges; utilising its expertise to successfully install the 42-metre-deep diaphragm walls and undertake the largest pile removal on record in the UK.
Steve explains that Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering is leveraging advanced engineering and innovative solutions such as drone technology and bespoke working platforms to reduce working at height, eliminate health and safety risks on site and ultimately meet its Zero Harm targets.
Speaking of the project, Steve said: “While there were challenges, this site also provided opportunity for innovative thinking and new ways of working. Our commitment to a visual standard for people-plant interface was essential, with segregation barriers as standard to keep our people safe.”
To read the article in full, please click here.
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering is one of the UK’s leading specialist geotechnical contractors providing innovative piling and ground improvement solutions across all sectors. The company’s comprehensive ground engineering capabilities, equipment and experience provide the solid foundations for buildings of any height, ranging from city skyscrapers to house foundation packages.
- Live projects in the Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering portfolio include a £28m contract to regenerate a region to the south of Battersea Power Station, and a £1.5m ground engineering works contract at Segro Park, Enfield on behalf of Winvic.
- Past projects in Balfour Beatty Ground Engineering’s portfolio include the £22m foundations for two towers reaching 42 and 58 storeys at One Nine Elms, a £28m contract to regenerate a region to the south of Battersea Power Station, providing the stable foundations for the area’s new homes and high street, and a £15.4m contract to deliver the foundations at Marble Arch Place. Past projects also include the £12m foundations for The Shard, the UK's tallest building, the £45m foundations for Heathrow's new Terminal 2 building and the £5m foundations for the National Sports Arena's Velodrome, Office Hub and Sports Arena in Glasgow, which hosted the 2014 Commonwealth Games.