Digital transformation and new technologies: Chris Johnson, Balfour Beatty Chief Technology Officer features in Construction Europe Magazine
04 February 2020
Balfour Beatty Chief Technology Officer, Chris Johnson, has recently featured in Construction Europe, discussing how the effective implementation of digital technologies can work to strengthen a business’ capabilities.
In the interview, Chris explores how the use of 3D and 4D computer models, Virtual Reality and the use of “digital twins” can help to make companies more efficient, more productive and ultimately safer.
Discussing how embracing a more digital approach can also foster greater levels of collaboration between client and contractor, Chris says: "Implementing these new technologies in our projects allows each piece of work we carry out to be reflected in a digital, data-driven model for design, development, construction and maintenance. This software will create a collaborative platform for clients, the workforce and others, providing the most advanced, market leading results and benefits."
To learn more about how Balfour Beatty adopts these technologies on-site, you can read the article in full here.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty aims to provide employees with a safe, rewarding and inspiring place to work and develop their careers. In December 2019, Balfour Beatty secured the top spot in the Heavy Construction category in the 2019 awards for Britain’s Most Admired Companies; the longest running annual survey of corporate reputation in the UK.
- Balfour Beatty is already working on several key projects using technology, and like the industry rely on cutting-edge technology to design, build and maintain its portfolio of diverse projects. ‘Digital’ is integral to the business, allowing the company to innovate and implement improvements in efficiency, quality and safety.
- Balfour Beatty has committed to reducing the amount of work being undertake onsite by 25% by 2025.
- Balfour Beatty’s in-house expert capabilities encompass a variety of digital services and are applied across the whole lifecycle of a project. Technology deployed includes augmented and virtual reality; Building Information Modelling (BIM); drones; 3D printing; cloud data storage; telematics and data analytics. Seamlessly integrated into the business, the use of technology enables Balfour Beatty employees to work more productively, more effectively and efficiently, as well as more safely.