Balfour Beatty tops the charts as one of the UK’s most desirable companies that students aspire to work for
01 October 2020
Balfour Beatty today announces that it has secured a top spot on the National Graduate Week league table, placing as the sixth most desirable company that students aspire to work for once they have completed their studies.
More than 15,000 UK-based university students and graduates were surveyed to reveal the results, which included companies such as Network Rail, Barclays, Aldi and Boeing.
As the only construction and infrastructure company featured on the league table, achieving sixth place is testament to Balfour Beatty’s ongoing commitment to providing young people with exciting career opportunities across multiple sectors including transportation, power & energy, water and social infrastructure.
Through its membership of The 5% Club, founded by Group Chief Executive Leo Quinn in 2013, Balfour Beatty is dedicated to developing the next generation, ensuring that 5% of its workforce is made up of apprentices, sponsored students and graduates on formalised training schemes.
In 2019, Balfour Beatty recruited 86 graduates, 119 apprentices and 22 trainees, representing 5.4% of the UK workforce in “earn & learn” positions.
So far in 2020, the business has hired 113 graduates. With multiple business schemes such as Business Management and Human Resources as well as various technical site-based roles including Civil Engineering and Quantity Surveying, Balfour Beatty’s graduate offering is continually evolving.
Balfour Beatty aims to provide employees with a safe, rewarding and inspiring place to work and progress their careers. The company secured the top spot in the Heavy Construction category in the 2019 awards for Britain’s Most Admired Companies; the longest running annual survey of corporate reputation in the UK.
In addition, Balfour Beatty has recently been recognised for its initiatives to promote a diverse and inclusive culture in the workplace, securing the ‘Most Inspiring Contractor’ award at the Inspire Awards last year.
Paul Raby, Group Human Resources Director at Balfour Beatty, said: “Featuring not only in the top 20, but as one of the top 10 companies in the National Graduate Week league table, is a great achievement. It is a particularly important acknowledgement as the results are directly driven by students themselves; testament to the work that we do daily, to encourage those to consider a career in construction.
“At Balfour Beatty, we are continually looking for the next generation of talent – to help bridge the skills shortage our industry is currently facing and to provide exciting and challenging opportunities for young people across the UK.”
For those interested in working for a leading international infrastructure group and starting a career where individuals will build the skills, experience and capability to deliver some of the most ambitious construction and infrastructure projects in history, please click here.
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 110 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- The 5% Club is a dynamic movement of employers committed to earn & learn as part of building and developing the workforce they need as part of a socially mobile, prosperous and cohesive nation. The Club exists to help its members and all employers increase further the number, quality and range of earn & learn opportunities across the UK.
- The 5% Club consists of more than 450 businesses from 22 sectors of the economy. It includes large and small private and public sector employers. Almost half of its members are small and medium sized enterprises.
- By joining The 5% Club, members aspire to reach 5% of their workforce in ‘earn and learn’ positions, including apprenticeships, sponsored student schemes and graduate training, within five years of joining.
- The 5% Club is a charity and is free for businesses of all sizes and sectors to join. Find out more at https://www.5percentclub.org.uk/
- There are currently 658 people on a development scheme at Balfour Beatty and 390 on a Post Development Scheme.