Balfour Beatty selected as preferred bidder by Leicester City for lighting contract
24 September 2012
Balfour Beatty has been selected as preferred bidder by Leicester City Council for its public lighting contract as the city moves to a new lower energy lighting system.
The contract which begins on 1 October is valued at approximately £17.2 million over eight years. A key component of the contract will be to convert almost all of the city’s lights to lower energy LED white lights.
The Council’s White Light Replacement Programme will adopt recently-proven developments in public lighting technology to substantially reduce the maintenance workload and annual costs. White lights have much longer service lives than the traditional sodium vapour tubes and so should not need to be replaced for many years.
The contract includes:
- Planned and reactive maintenance of the city’s public lighting infrastructure
- Programmed replacement of existing high energy demand lamps with lower-energy white-light lamps
- The installation and maintenance of festive decorations for a range of cultural events in the City through each year
- The installation of new street furniture eg. guard rails, traffic signs, bollards and lighting
- Reactive repairs to street furniture
Terry Woodhouse, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty Living Places, said: “We are delighted to be the preferred bidder for the Leicester City Public Lighting contract. Once again Balfour Beatty has shown that it knows how to deliver innovative and forward thinking projects, providing excellent service and great value for money.”
Tel. +44 (0)20 7932 2324
Notes to Editors:
1. Balfour Beatty Living Places, created by Balfour Beatty in 2010 to provide more customer focus to our local authority clients, works in partnership to create regeneration strategies, maintain infrastructure and provide local services. We offer an extensive range of services including customer front and back-office, transactional services, facilities management, managed services, highways and street lighting maintenance. We are dedicated to delivering effective, efficient, sustainable and customer focused services which will enhance communities and environments for the public.
2. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.