Balfour Beatty Recognised as Most Inspiring Contractor at the 2019 Inspire Awards
07 June 2019
Balfour Beatty has been commended at the Inspire Awards this week, securing the ‘Most Inspiring Contractor’ award. This award is the second in the past two weeks to recognise Balfour Beatty’s continued commitment to diversity and inclusion.
The award recognises Balfour Beatty for its diversity and inclusion initiatives, in particular its Affinity Networks. These aim to ensure an understanding of cultural experiences and provide an open platform for employees to bring their own unique perspective to the development of the working environment and culture.
The Inspire Awards are an annual celebration that brings people working in the construction, engineering and housing sectors together to explore how they can strengthen the industry through diversity and inclusion.
Balfour Beatty was acknowledged for its work on the CECA’s Fairness, Inclusion and Respect (FIR) steering group which develops resources and enables change where it can help make an impact to the industry. Balfour Beatty works with the FIR programme to develop inspiring diversity and inclusion resources and case studies to share best practice. The FIR programme engages directly with small to medium size enterprises to support and develop a fair and inclusive culture throughout the industry.
Balfour Beatty was also recognised for its ‘Empower’ programme which provides female employees with a unique opportunity to explore leadership positions and career goals as well as how to overcome barriers to succeed in their careers.
Paul Raby, Balfour Beatty’s Group Human Resources Director, said: “It is imperative that our workforce reflects the environment and society it operates in - a diverse range of skills and expertise will help us to build a strong culture of fairness, inclusion and respect across Balfour Beatty.
“Balfour Beatty is committed to continuing its work of creating a diverse and inclusive workforce. Balfour Beatty wants to be an employer of choice for high quality talent no matter their gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, social background or religion, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business.”
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty is committed to creating an environment where all our employees can be themselves at work and perform at their best. With a number of major infrastructure projects in the pipeline, Balfour Beatty aims to meet current and future skills demand by attracting and retaining the best available talent and is committed to removing the barriers to minority groups across the industry to widen the talent pool.
- Leo Quinn, Balfour Beatty’s Group Chief Executive, is the board level sponsor for Diversity and inclusion. Leo has established a Steering Committee to govern strategic diversity and inclusion activities and track progress against the three-year plan
- Balfour Beatty’s three-year UK Diversity and Inclusion action plan focuses on Communication, Culture, Creating Opportunities, Communities/Supply Chain and Governance and has been cascaded into local business plans with bespoke targets, helping to build a strong culture of fairness, inclusion and respect across the organisation.
- Balfour Beatty is committed to equal opportunity having launched its employee led Affinity Networks in 2016. The four networks – LGBT+, Multi-Cultural, Ability and Gender Equality provide a platform for underrepresented employee groups to bring their unique perspective to the development of Balfour Beatty’s working culture and create a fair and inclusive workplace. As an employer of choice, Balfour Beatty recruits regardless of gender, ethnicity and social background to ensure it reflects the society in which it operates.