Balfour Beatty joint venture awarded £121 million contract for the Ministry of Defence
09 December 2013
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today announces the award of a £121 million joint venture contract to construct the new Defence College of Technical Training at the former RAF Lyneham airbase in Wiltshire for the Ministry of Defence (MOD).
Working in a 50:50 joint venture Balfour Beatty and Kier Construction will deliver new single- living accommodation for military trainees and purpose-built enhanced training facilities including a large outdoor training area and a museum for the Army’s Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. The new facilities for over 1100 trainees and 800 staff will bring together Army, Royal Navy and Royal Air Force training provision in one location for the first time in the UK.
The joint venture has committed to working with the Forces Career Transition Partnership which assists military personnel to secure permanent work on completion of their time in service and, Enterprise Works, a Swindon based organisation which supports individuals with a disability, specifically injured ex-services personnel, to secure employment.
At construction peak, the project will employ 900 people including service leavers and injured ex-military personnel.
Balfour Beatty plc Chief Executive, Andrew McNaughton said:
“Over the last five years we have completed defence sector contracts totalling approximately £500 million demonstrating our position as a leading provider of defence related infrastructure for our armed services. We look forward to working with the Defence Infrastructure Organisation and Kier Construction to deliver a great facility for the MOD.”
Works commence on site early 2014 and are due for completion in the autumn of 2015.
Balfour Beatty plc
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7216 6924
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7216 6913
Notes to editors:
1. In the UK, Balfour Beatty’s current defence sector activity includes:
- our framework appointment to the £250 million Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s (DIO) Regional Framework for Capital Works Projects for East Midlands and Eastern England;
- the Allenby Connaught PFI for Aspire Defence through which Balfour Beatty has delivered in excess £110 million of defence infrastructure construction works; and
- our construction delivery partner position on four Regional Prime Contracts as a Tier 1 supplier for special purpose vehicles - Debut (Babcock Lend Lease) in the South West, Babcock Dyncorp in the East, PriDe (Interserve) in the South East and Turner FM for Scotland.
In the UK, significant defence projects Balfour Beatty has delivered include:
- the visiting US Air Forces (USAF) £280 million housing programme for which we were sole framework partner for ten years; and
- £160 million of construction works for Flagship, the Prime Contractor delivering the Royal Navy’s Training Estate Programme, which included the completion of over 1500 single living accommodation units.
2. The Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO) is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). It is responsible for managing and maintaining land and properties to meet the current and future needs of the MOD and personnel at home and abroad, and to support current operations. Find out more about the Defence Infrastructure Organisation.
3. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.