Balfour Beatty awarded £87 million London commercial contract
26 September 2013
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today announces it has been awarded an £87 million St James’s Market contract which forms part of the overall commercial redevelopment, for The Crown Estate and Oxford Properties.
The scheme will provide 260,000 sq. ft. of new commercial and retail space across two eight-storey blocks between Regent Street and Haymarket.
The first block, situated along Regent Street, includes a retained heritage façade which will be repaired and restored as part of the contract. The second block, adjacent to Haymarket, will incorporate an aesthetic curved glass and Portland Stone wall that will be installed in four by three metre sections using a tower crane.
To manage the safe and efficient delivery of construction activity in a confined and densely populated location, we will utilise our sophisticated 4D Building Information Modelling (BIM) technology capability to create a virtual environment. This will enable the project team to design out or mitigate potential risks and disruption to the public and other stakeholders before activity begins on site.
On this project, we will also deploy our off-site manufacturing capability to provide modular mechanical and electrical services. This modular off-site approach in a controlled environment reduces time on site, improves safety and reduces the overall construction programme.
Extensive public realm improvements on site will create a new 10,000 sq. ft. piazza including new seating, planters and wall mounted lighting, providing a new social space for visitors, and complementing Westminster City Council and Transport for London’s public realm improvement programme.
Balfour Beatty Chief Executive, Andrew McNaughton said:
“We are delighted to be working in partnership with The Crown Estate and Oxford Properties to deliver this landmark scheme.
“Working within the Capital invariably presents its challenges but the investment we have made in digital technology and modular construction will come to the fore on this project and we look forward to demonstrating our expertise.”
Works commence on site this autumn and are due for completion in summer 2015.
Balfour Beatty plc
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7216 6924
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7379 5151
Notes to editors:
1. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world
2. Balfour Beatty’s current London commercial portfolio includes:
- £30 million design and installation of mechanical and electrical (M&E) services as part of the refurbishment and extension of Sea Containers House on the Southbank SE1,
- £16 million design and build mixed use development comprising offices and retail space at1&2 Stephen Street near Tottenham Court Road W1,
- £17 million construction and fit-out of Bishops Court E1. Situated on the South side of Bishop’s Square in the Spitalfields regeneration area,
- £60 million design and build scheme at 60 Holborn EC1N to deliver a new 13-storey state-of-the-art office building and
- £26 million design and build of the ten-storey 67 Lombard Street development in the City of London EC3V.