Balfour Beatty awarded £70 million overhead line contract to deliver sustainable energy to the west of Scotland
16 September 2019
Balfour Beatty today announces it has been awarded a £70 million contract to deliver Overhead Line works in the west of Scotland on behalf of Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission (SSEN Transmission).
The two year contract will see Balfour Beatty design, construct and engineer the new 37km, 275kV double circuit Overhead Line, which will connect the two Argyll towns of Inveraray and Lochgilphead, and forms the first phase of SSEN Transmission’s Inveraray to Crossaig project to reinforce the existing transmission network in the area.
On completion, the new Overhead Line will enable renewable wind power facilities to be connected to the national electricity network and ensure the continued security of the supply of power throughout the west of Scotland.
The team will use Building Information Modelling (BIM) software and drones to plan and design the line as well as reduce the need to work at height, ultimately improving the quality, safety and efficiency of works.
This latest contract award builds on Balfour Beatty’s longstanding relationship with SSEN Transmission, having most recently been awarded the £47 million Fort Augustus to Fort William overhead line and cabling works, with completion scheduled for the end of 2019, in the west of Scotland.
Ian Currie, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Power Transmission and Distribution business said: “We are committed to delivering this latest Overhead Line asset with a focus on embedding innovation to continuously improve the safety and productivity of the project.
“We look forward to supporting the continued delivery of the stable and ongoing supply of electricity to the communities in the west of Scotland.”
Works are due to commence this autumn with completion of the first phase scheduled for 2021. At peak construction, the project will employ a workforce of 220 people including a number of apprentices.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions across the full spectrum of the electricity grid, including overhead lines, cabling, substations and distribution networks. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the UK’s most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
- Significant projects in the company’s current portfolio include the c. £47 million Fort Augustus to Fort William 132kV Transmission Reinforcement project and the c. £43.5 million Beauly to Keith 132kV modernisation programme on behalf of Scottish Hydro Electric Transmission plc, and the £300m contract with National Grid to deliver both the 400kV overhead line and 400kV cable works on the critical Hinkley Point C connection scheme.
- SSEN Transmission, operating as Scottish Hydro Electric (SHE) Transmission plc under licence, owns, operates and develops the high voltage electricity transmission system in the north of Scotland and remote islands.