Balfour Beatty awarded £65 million Network Rail seasonal treatment contract
15 May 2019
Balfour Beatty has been awarded a £65 million contract to operate and maintain 21 of Network Rail’s seasonal treatment multi-purpose vehicles (MPV) across the South of England, Anglia and the London North Western (LNW) rail route.
Balfour Beatty has been successfully delivering operational and maintenance works for Network Rail’s fleet of seasonal treatment vehicles in Kent and Sussex since 2013 and has now expanded this expertise to the LNW route as well as Anglia and Wessex.
The five year contract will see Balfour Beatty support the continued reliability of the railway network, providing a range of vital track treatment operations and helping to reduce disruption to the travelling public throughout autumn and winter.
Mick Rayner, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s rail business, said: “Our engineering excellence and continuous drive to improve Network Rail’s asset performance was instrumental in securing this new contract.
“We look forward to continuing our work with Network Rail to operate and maintain the next generation of MPV fleet, while tackling everyday weather related challenges to provide a resilient railway for the public.”
Rob Morton, director of supply chain operations, Network Rail, said: “These contracts demonstrate the commercially creative approach Network Rail’s supply chain now adopts. We have applied a more collaborative and forward-thinking style to our sourcing than previously, which aligns not only our goals, but those of our supply partners.
“The new contracts provide us with sufficient flexibility to direct our spend to those suppliers who deliver the best service. We have also ensured the deals have appropriate mutual benefit to maximise their longevity and chance of delivering successfully.”
Early works commenced last month and at construction peak will employ a direct workforce of approximately 90 people.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
- Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches & crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure outstanding track quality for our customers.
- Significant projects in Balfour Beatty’s current portfolio include the five year ‘Reactive Building and Civils’ contract which will see Balfour Beatty deliver a range of works including track, building and general infrastructure repairs on behalf of Network Rail, the seven year contract worth in excess of £115 million for the supply, operation and maintenance of Balfour Beatty’s fleet of 13 track maintenance vehicles and the £40 million operations and maintenance contract for Network Rail’s fleet of track maintenance machines, known as ‘Stoneblowers’.