Balfour Beatty awarded £16 million Crossrail substation contract
17 June 2014
Balfour Beatty has been awarded a £16 million Crossrail contract by Network Rail Infrastructure Limited to deliver a series of substations and associated civil works.
The contract involves the detailed design, construction and commissioning of eight 25kV Auto Transformer substations and associated civil works located between Shenfield and Pudding Mill Lane in the east and north east of London, and the Kensal Green Auto Transformer feeder station and Maidenhead in the west of London.
The Balfour Beatty proposal offered Network Rail a strong management and safety plan that will utilise the existing West Coast delivery team and their experience on Thameslink and North West Electrification. The team also offered a robust plan to meet Crossrail’s carbon reduction targets.
Mark Griffiths, Balfour Beatty Managing Director Power Systems, said: “We are delighted to be awarded this contract on the Crossrail programme by Network Rail and look forward to delivering a substantial section of the substation network, whilst ensuring that stringent safety and sustainability objectives are achieved.”
The contract win builds on Balfour Beatty's existing involvement in the Crossrail programme and will support the Crossrail power delivery requirements.
Work is commencing this month and will complete in 2017.
- Balfour Beatty will be enabling power for new Crossrail stations.
- More photos can be found of Balfour Beatty Construction Services UK activities on Flickr
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. Balfour Beatty Power Systems supplies the latest and most innovative extra high voltage and high voltage products and services, substation control and protection systems that keep much of the UK’s major infrastructure safely powered night and day. Providing whole life design, manufacture, installation, test, commissioning and project management services, a highly-trained workforce and a dedicated in-house switchgear manufacturing facility in Glasgow, Balfour Beatty provides expertise in substation control and protection systems products and services to over fifteen major customers including London Underground Limited, Network Rail and the UK electricity industry. Recent contracts delivered include a £55 million London Underground Metropolitan Line power upgrade, a £40 million power upgrade to the District Line, the installation of new substations at West Ham and Upminster Bridge and the provision of three new 22kV cable routes. Current contracts being delivered include the £42 million Traction 3A works for TfL, £19.4 million work on the West Coast Mainline, £10.6 million North West Electrification Phase 2 for Network Rail, the £18.2 million Beauly to Denny power transmission system and the £10 million Fort Augustus project. Balfour Beatty is also a contractor on two recently awarded London Underground Limited power upgrade frameworks worth up to £250 million.
2. Balfour Beatty’s UK and Ireland construction business (www.balfourbeattycsuk.com) is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s and Ireland’s national infrastructure and an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
We offer a broad range of capabilities in construction, civil engineering and mechanical & electrical engineering services.
With offices throughout the UK and Ireland, we deliver a locally-focused service with the support of our national network of expertise and resources.
Balfour Beatty’s UK and Ireland construction business employs over 9,000 people.
3. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK and the USA, with developing businesses in Australia, Canada, the Middle East, South Africa and South East Asia.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors focus on infrastructure - transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, water and complex buildings (both commercial and social).
Balfour Beatty employs 40,000 people around the world.