Balfour Beatty appoints Managing Director to lead its regional construction business in the South of England
24 September 2018
Balfour Beatty today announces the appointment of Dave Smith as Managing Director of its regional construction business in the South of England.
Dave joins Balfour Beatty from the McLaren Group where he was Managing Director of its construction business. Previously he spent 32 years at Wates in a range of senior positions, latterly as Construction Managing Director and Group Chief Operating Officer.
A qualified Quantity Surveyor, Dave has a wide range of experience across the UK construction market and an extensive project delivery background, overseeing a mix of public and private sector frameworks.
Dean Banks, Chief Executive Officer of Balfour Beatty’s UK Construction Services business, said: “I am delighted to welcome Dave to the Balfour Beatty team.
“This appointment will support Balfour Beatty’s Build to Last goals of Lean, Expert, Trusted and Safe; utilising Dave’s expert capability and deep specialist knowledge to drive future profitable growth in the region.”
Balfour Beatty’s regional business in the South of England spans numerous sectors including aviation, buildings and defence infrastructure. Most recently, the company was awarded a £43 million contract by Wapping Wharf Living to deliver the second phase of Bristol’s Wapping Wharf regeneration project.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s UK and Ireland regional construction business is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s and Ireland’s national infrastructure. Balfour Beatty is also an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
- The company has been operating in the South of England for over a century, providing the company with its first commission in 1909 to operate the tramway network in Kent and Bedfordshire.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio in the South include the £19m renovation and extension of the Grade II listed Bristol Fry Building, which will provide state-of-the-art mathematic facilities for The University of Bristol, the £170m baggage screening and handling systems upgrade for Heathrow Airport Limited, the £5m link road from St Clements way to London Road in Dartford and the £82.5m F-35 contract at RAF Marham, to build engineering and training facilities in readiness for the arrival of the UK’s first F-35 Lightning II aircraft in 2018.
- Iconic projects of the past delivered in the South include the construction of three new hangars and ancillary buildings for RAF Brize Norton, the extension and refurbishment of Bristol Airport’s Terminal 1 to transform the security search process for airport passengers, and the 3.3Km Woodside Link road scheme in Bedfordshire, to ease congestion and unlock accessibility to employment in North Houghton.