Balfour Beatty and Transport for London discuss the benefits of collaboration and innovation in Rail Technology Magazine
05 June 2019
Alistair McLaughlin, Programme Delivery Manager for Balfour Beatty’s Rail business and John Lambert, Head of Track Programmes for Transport for London (TfL) explore the intricacies of the London Underground track renewals works in the latest edition of Rail Technology Magazine.
Over the next four years, the new collaborative partnership between TfL and Balfour Beatty, collectively known as the Integrated Track Team, will work to replace life-expired track assets across the London Underground network.
The contract, awarded in February 2019, will ensure the continued reliability of the 1,047 kilometre London Underground network, investment in critical assets and the delivery of strategic enhancements including the renewal of 13 kilometres of ballasted track and associated drainage, signalling, traction power and rail conductor works across the network.
Within the article, Alistair and John discuss how this new collaborative way of working brings an innovative approach to track renewals with the Integrated Track Team carrying out works safely, reliably and efficiently by utilising the first and only UK 3D controlled 13T excavator and brand-new 4D planning tools.
To read the article in full and learn more about the innovations in use across the network, click here
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the life cycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
- Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches and crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure track quality for our customers.
- Significant projects in Balfour Beatty’s current portfolio include: London Underground track renewals contract valued at up to £220 million over four years for Transport for London, on-track machinery for Network Rail’s seven-year contract worth £115 million for the supply, operation and maintenance of 13 ‘Tampers’, £40 million operations and maintenance contract for the fleet of ‘Stoneblowers’ and a £65 million contract to operate and maintain 21 multi-purpose vehicles (MPV) across England
- Other notable projects include a five year ‘Reactive Building and Civils’ contract delivering a range of works including track building and general infrastructure repairs on behalf of Network Rail and an 80% share in Network Rail’s ten-year £1.5 billion Central Track Alliance contract for, development, design and delivery of track renewals and crossings, across the London North West, London North East and East Midland routes.