Balfour Beatty has today launched its refreshed UK Diversity and Inclusion Strategy, Value Everyone, as part of its ongoing commitment to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Having launched its first Diversity and Inclusion Strategy in 2018, the refreshed strategy builds on the significant progress Balfour Beatty has made in creating a workplace that is open and welcoming to all.
Guided by its employee-led Affinity Networks, the company has already implemented a wide range of initiatives, including tailored learning and development opportunities as well as reverse mentoring for the Executive Committee, and through the refreshed strategy, strives to create an even more inclusive and diverse workplace.
Balfour Beatty has a long-term ambition to have a workforce that reflects the population of the UK, in line with the England and Wales 2021 census. The refreshed strategy clearly lays out three targets to be achieved by 2030:
- 50% increase in female employees by 2030 on the 2021 baseline
- 60% increase in minority ethnic employees by 2030 on the 2021 baseline
- 60% increase in black employees by 2030 on the 2021 baseline
Delivering against seven strategic goals, the company aims to “lead the way”, “create opportunities”, “develop an inclusive culture” and “enable supply chain diversity” through targeted action plans which will be refreshed annually, whilst also raising awareness, educating, and celebrating differences.
Balfour Beatty has also introduced a fifth employee-led Affinity Network, Neurodiversity & Allies, to celebrate and educate employees about neurodiverse conditions and support the business in becoming industry leading in creating an accessible working environment for neurodivergent people.
Paul Raby, Balfour Beatty Group HR Director, said: “Becoming a truly diverse and inclusive company is one of our greatest focus areas. Whilst we have made significant progress since we first introduced our strategy in 2018, we recognise that there is still more work to do.
“Since then, the passion of our people has been instrumental in driving tangible change through focused action, spearheaded by our employee-led Affinity Networks. With our 2030 targets and a refreshed strategy, we will continue to work towards becoming a more inclusive and diverse organisation where everyone is supported to reach their full potential”.
To read the refreshed strategy in full, click here.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)203 810 2345
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with over 25,000 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 114 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world. Currently, we are working to deliver Hinkley Point C, the first UK nuclear power station in a generation; constructing the world-class arts and cultural facility, the Lyric Theatre, in Hong Kong; and designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining the Automated People Mover superstructure at the fifth busiest airport in the world, Los Angeles International Airport.
- Balfour Beatty is committed to creating an environment where all our employees can be themselves at work and perform at their best. With a number of major infrastructure projects in the pipeline, Balfour Beatty aims to meet current and future skills demand by attracting and retaining the best available talent and is committed to removing the barriers to minority groups across the industry to widen the talent pool.