Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, has been awarded two eight-year contracts with National Grid to upgrade the UK’s gas distribution network.
The contracts, valued at £1.2 billion, involve the design and installation of modern polyethylene gas distribution mains to replace aging metal pipes, as part of a programme of work agreed between National Grid and the Health and Safety Executive. The new Gas Distribution Strategic Partnership contracts cover the North West and West Midlands and will replace Balfour Beatty’s current gas contract in the North West. Balfour Beatty will invest £55 million of working capital in the contracts.
These contracts build on Balfour Beatty’s existing electricity alliance contract with National Grid which involves the ongoing upgrade and refurbishment of the high voltage transmission network owned by National Grid across England and Wales.
Commenting on the announcement, Balfour Beatty Chief Executive, Ian Tyler, said: “National Grid is one of our longest held relationships and we are delighted to continue this partnership.
“The award of these new contracts builds on our ongoing strategic focus in the power market and is an excellent example of partnership with our clients to deliver continuing value as well as ongoing certainty to a core element of the UK’s infrastructure.”
Balfour Beatty plc
Tel. +44 (0)20 7216 6924
Balfour Beatty plc
Tel. +44 (0)20 7216 6865
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
- We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
- Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
- The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
- Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.