Following the successful delivery by Balfour Beatty, Morgan Sindall Infrastructure and VINCI Construction (BBMV), Crossrail has handed over the Whitechapel Elizabeth Line station to Transport for London.
The new Whitechapel Elizabeth line station will see thousands of commuters pass through each day, providing quicker, easier and more convenient travel across London.
In addition, the joint venture successfully delivered the tunnelling works at both Whitechapel Elizabeth line and Liverpool Street stations; delving beneath the ground to excavate 60,000m³ of material.
Whitechapel Elizabeth line station is acknowledged as one of the most complex and challenging stations on the Crossrail project. The new station concourse was constructed on a bridge consisting of 2,800 tonnes of structural steelwork, above the existing station and two operational railway lines – the London Overground and London Underground.
Steve O’Sullivan, BBMV Project Director, said: “As I reflect on this incredible feat of engineering, I have never been more proud of what our incredible team have delivered. It truly is testament to the collaborative culture of our joint venture, who have persevered throughout the challenges faced by the global COVID-19 pandemic.
“We now look forward to watching as the station plays a role in transforming travel across London, whilst also supporting wider regeneration in the local area through job creation and opportunities for local businesses.”
Mark Wild, Crossrail Chief Executive, said: "The whole team at Whitechapel have done a fantastic job weaving between the existing operational transport services to create this incredible new Elizabeth line station which has been one of the most challenging Elizabeth line stations to construct. I am delighted this station has now been handed over to London Underground and I am sure customers will be very impressed when they start using the new station entrance."
Passengers will access the new station through the sensitively restored original entrance on Whitechapel High Street, opened in 1876. The new station has nine lifts and three escalators and will, for the first time, provide step-free access to improve accessibility for those visiting the renowned Royal London Hospital and the surrounding area.
Why not watch the video below and learn more from Steve O’Sullivan, BBMV’s Project Director?
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)203 810 2345
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group with 26,000 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 112 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain’s biggest road project; Hong Kong’s HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5 mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
- VINCI is a global player in concessions and contracting, employing 222,000 people in some 100 countries. We design, finance, build and operate infrastructure and facilities that help improve daily life and mobility for all. Because we believe in all-round performance, above and beyond economic and financial results, we are committed to operating in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. And because our projects are in the public interest, we consider that reaching out to all our stakeholders and engaging in dialogue with them is essential in the conduct of our business activities. VINCI’s goal is to create long-term value for its customers, shareholders, employees, and partners and for society at large. www.vinci.com
- VINCI Construction was represented by VINCI Construction Grands Projets and Taylor Woodrow.
About Morgan Sindall Infrastructure:
- Morgan Sindall Infrastructure (morgansindallinfrastructure.com) delivers some of the UK’s most complex and critical infrastructure across six core sectors of energy, water, nuclear, highways, rail and aviation for public and private customers. Working on projects and long-term frameworks, we believe in connecting people, places and communities through innovative and responsible infrastructure. Our people are our business. Through their expertise, we harness innovative ideas and approaches that enable us to safely and responsibly design and deliver resilient infrastructure upon which we all rely. Morgan Sindall Infrastructure is part of Morgan Sindall Group plc, a leading UK construction and regeneration group with revenue of over £3 billion.