Balfour Beatty VINCI, a long-established joint venture between two global infrastructure leaders, today announces it has received notification from High Speed 2 (HS2) to proceed with its two main civil engineering contracts, worth a combined total of c. £5 billion.
Following Notice to Proceed, the 50:50 joint venture will commence the full detailed design and construction of both schemes. Balfour Beatty’s in-depth expertise of delivering critical major infrastructure across the world will combine and complement VINCI’s global capability in high speed rail and expertise in UK rail infrastructure projects.
The scope of works comprises extensive earthworks, ground engineering, viaducts and tunnels along a 90 kilometer stretch between the Long Itchington Wood Green tunnel in the south to the West Coast Main Line tie-in near Litchfield in the north with a major junction into central Birmingham at Curzon Street.
Notice to Proceed marks a major milestone in Britain’s largest regeneration project which will create thousands of employment opportunities, dramatically increase rail capacity and support the economic growth of the UK.
Leo Quinn, Balfour Beatty Group Chief Executive, said: “HS2 is a transformational infrastructure scheme, underpinning both the economic resilience and future growth of the nation, during these unprecedented and challenging times.
“Notice to Proceed provides certainty for many businesses up and down the UK, and will drive investment in skills and capability for current and future generations.”
Preparatory works are due to start imminently with main construction to commence in earnest in the second quarter of 2021. All sites will be fully compliant with UK Government guidance for safe working practices in relation to social distancing.
At construction peak, a workforce of over 8,000 will be involved in delivering the scheme, many of whom will be locally employed. In addition, Balfour Beatty VINCI will offer approximately 400 apprenticeship and graduate opportunities.
The joint venture of Balfour Beatty, VINCI and SYSTRA was awarded the construction management contract for the c. £1 billion Old Oak Common station in 2019. Today’s announcement brings the number of packages the company will deliver on behalf of HS2 to three.
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty VINCI represents a powerhouse for critical infrastructure across Rail, transport and other iconic projects in the UK and beyond. Balfour Beatty VINCI’s involvement in groundbreaking Design Build Finance and Operation (DBFO) projects offers a unique end-to-end asset knowledge that is crucial in developing the best solutions to the infrastructure needs of the UK.
- Balfour Beatty and VINCI started working together over 30 years ago when both were members of the TransManche Link consortium which delivered the Channel Tunnel.
- Balfour Beatty VINCI has successfully bid and delivered a number of key projects on Crossrail and have recently been awarded a Smart Motorways Programme, starting with an 18km stretch of the M5.
- As leading infrastructure groups, both Balfour Beatty and VINCI Construction offer opportunities for trainees, apprentices, placement students and graduates as well as sponsored degree opportunities
About Balfour Beatty:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 110 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- VINCI is represented by its subsidiaries: VINCI Construction Grands Projects, VINCI Construction UK and VINCI Construction Terrassement.
- VINCI is a global player in concessions and construction, employing more than 220,000 people in some 100 countries. We design, finance, build and operate infrastructure and facilities that help improve daily life and mobility for all. Because we believe in all-round performance, above and beyond economic and financial results, we are committed to operating in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. And because our projects are in the public interest, we consider that reaching out to all our stakeholders and engaging in dialogue with them is essential in the conduct of our business activities. VINCI’s goal is to create long-term value for its customers, shareholders, employees, and partners and for society at large. vinci.com