Balfour Beatty, part of the LINXS Constructors joint venture, has successfully completed the Los Angeles International Airport’s (LAX) 2.25-mile Automated People Mover (APM) train guideway superstructure (APM) for Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA).
The new APM electric train system will form the centrepiece of LAX’s multi-billion-pound Landside Access Modernization Program (LAMP) and will transport passengers in and out of the airport, connecting them to new off-site parking and car-rental facilities, and regional light rail transportation.
Since construction commenced in November 2019, three cast-in-place segmentally constructed bridges have been built and a total of 69,700 cubic yards of concrete have been poured.
Having now completed the elevated guideway, the Balfour Beatty Joint Venture will continue to progress project delivery through construction of plinths and six stations, which once complete, will reduce traffic congestion and create reliable access to airline terminals for LAX passengers and airport employees.
Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles said: “The Automated People Mover will be so much more than another way to get to LAX – it’s the piece of the puzzle that will end the congestion that has been plaguing our airport for decades.
“This project is a historic investment in our city’s transportation future, and today’s milestone brings us another step closer to our ultimate goal: bringing modern, reliable public transportation to our airport.”
Justin Erbacci, Chief Executive Officer, Los Angeles World Airports said: “Los Angeles no longer has to imagine a transformed LAX, rather we can see the future through our own eyes with the completion of the 2.25 miles of Automated People Mover guideway that will one day soon carry train cars filled with travelers and employees.
“Over the last two-and-a-half years, we have seen the guideway rise up from its foundation to become a fully completed track, providing us a glimpse at what will provide time-guaranteed access to the airport, ensuring greater mobility for all of those coming to and from LAX.”
Mark Konchar, Balfour Beatty Senior Vice President and Managing Director for Rail Operations said: “I applaud the entire LINXS Constructors team for reaching this tremendous milestone during the delivery of LAX’s Automated People Mover’s project. The final concrete pour of the segmental bridge span over Sepulveda Boulevard signifies the remarkable efforts of the entire guideway and segmental team who successfully progresses construction of the APM’s 2.25-mile train guideway.
“With the superstructure fully connected from end to end, the Balfour Beatty team, along with our partners, look forward to continuing our vital work in providing a safe, transformative and sustainable transportation solution for LAX passengers worldwide.”
The APM project is a critical investment into the infrastructure of Los Angeles as the city prepares to welcome the world to the 2028 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 113 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain's biggest road project; Hong Kong's HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5-mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
About Balfour Beatty US:
- We finance, Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the United States. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, the company is part of Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY), a leading international infrastructure group that provides innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth.
- Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest contractors, Balfour Beatty is the No. 6 Domestic Building Contractor in the United States as ranked by Engineering News-Record. To learn more, visit balfourbeattyus.com