Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today announces that it has taken delivery of its first 22 specialist Earthworks machines valued at £3.2m, and is ready to deliver its own in house Earthworks capability.
This first tranche of specialist Earthworks plant forms part Balfour Beatty's wider £9.6m owned plant investment program in 2018.
This Balfour Beatty initiative is a collaboration between its Plant & Fleet Services, Highways and Major Projects businesses; and, is designed to serve the needs of the company’s growing pipeline of major UK infrastructure projects.
Andy Ormerod, Balfour Beatty's Managing Director Plant & Fleet Services, said: “By building our own fleet of specialist Earthworks machines Balfour Beatty will be leading the market in providing an in-house expert Earthworks capability setting new standards of enhanced safety and increased efficiencies.”
This first package of equipment sees an emerging strategic partnership with key Suppliers:- Volvo, Komatsu and Caterpillar.
All machines are fitted with a wide range of high specification features designed to maximise safety and productivity, including; 360 Degree Vision Cameras – enabling operators to have a full view of their surroundings; Rated Capacity Indicators - ensuring safe lifting operations at all times, Telematics – collecting and analysing data to enhance productivity; In Cab inward facing Camera - to help support our operators with safety compliance and security.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 30,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty's Plant & Fleet services business offers complete plant expertise and, safe and efficient fleet services. Balfour Beatty’s plant team sources and manages all items of plant from everyday tools to specialist overhead line equipment. Balfour Beatty’s fleet services team manages around 6,350 company cars, vans and heavy commercial vehicles, including a variety of specialist equipment for applications such as road gritting, traffic management, surface dressing and suction excavation.
- Balfour Beatty’s Major Projects business deliver large-scale, complex infrastructure projects which keep the UK moving and the economy thriving. Employing over 2,000 people, the business operates within three principal markets; Transportation; Energy and Power and Major Infrastructure.
- Balfour Beatty’s Highways business designs, constructs and manages many of the UK’s major highways. The business also delivers complex Design Build Finance Operate and Early Contractor Involvement schemes. Through constant innovation and the use of cutting-edge technology, Balfour Beatty supports clients to deliver optimal highways experiences to the travelling public, better connecting communities and creating more reliable and safer journeys. From project conception through to completion, Balfour Beatty has a continued focus on future proofing its schemes. This includes creating smart motorways and preparing routes to welcome autonomous vehicles.
- Current Highways projects include Balfour Beatty’s £292m construction contract to widen a critical and complex 10-mile stretch of the existing A14, as part of Highways England’s £1.5bn A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme. The team also has extensive experience of using the latest technology to tackle congestion and is working towards the completion of Manchester Smart Motorway scheme M62 junctions 18-20 and M60 junctions 8-10.
- Recently completed Highways schemes include the £70m dualling scheme to upgrade a 2.5 mile section of the A21 in Kent from single to dual carriageway. The project has delivered a safer and more streamlined route for the travelling public, also supporting the local economy in this area of Kent.