Neil Barker, Data Manager at Omnicom Balfour Beatty, was recently featured in RAIL magazine discussing how the company is leading the industry on railway data analysis.
Neil goes into detail on how data analysis is key to the development of the Digital Railway programme which aims to transform the way the country’s railway is managed and operated through increased digitisation. Pulling on everyday examples of data use, including traffic management and weather monitoring, Neil explores the age of ‘big data’ and the benefits of analysing data within the rail industry as well.
The article outlines Omnicom Balfour Beatty’s unique offering that combines expertise in data and computer technology with long-standing experience across the rail industry. Omnicom Balfour Beatty’s portfolio of products and services, which include OmniVision, OmniSurveyor3D and OmniCapture3D, eliminate the need for costly and time consuming manual track inspections while providing an extensive and reliable database available at a click of a mouse.
The benefits of enhanced safety, reliability and efficiency are already benefitting clients in the UK but have also generated interest from potential clients across the globe, some of which have visited Balfour Beatty’s Rail Innovation Centre at Raynesway in Derby to experience the system in operation.
Further detail can be found in the full article in RAIL Magazine in the Worldwide Projects section here
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)207 963 2150
www.balfourbeatty.com | follow us @balfourbeatty
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
• Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 28,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
• Our main geographies are the UK & Ireland, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the world’s biggest shopping mall in Dubai, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
• Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
• Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches & crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure outstanding track quality for our customers.
• Balfour Beatty’s current portfolio of rail projects includes the £170 million Track Partnership for London Underground, the £220 million project for track re-modelling of London Bridge and Crossrail projects including the £130 million Abbey Wood station, the £110 million Whitechapel station and the £70 million station at Woolwich. Its most recent contract awards are for the supply, operation and maintenance of ‘On Track Machines’ or ‘Tampers worth £115 million for Network Rail; and, the operation and maintenance of Network Rail’s fleet of track maintenance machines, known as ‘Stoneblowers’ for more than £40 million; and, the five-year ‘Reactive Building and Civils Contract’ by Network Rail worth up to £50 million over a five-year period for the reactive aspect of the contract.
• Balfour Beatty’s Rail Innovation Centre is a purpose built facility in Derby that employs, in combination with our York and Matlock offices, over 150 of the industry’s leading technical experts and engineers dedicated to research, development and testing the latest, ground-breaking technologies and working practices in the UK and overseas. These include High Speed Measurement Systems and Automated Inspection and Monitoring Systems which enable track maintenance to be done on passenger trains at high speed, allowing early fault detection and significantly reducing costs.
• Omnicom Balfour Beatty (omnicombalfourbeatty.com) provides a complete range of infrastructure monitoring solutions; these range from trackside, dedicated monitoring trains, RRVs, to the state of the art in service train solutions. Omnicom Balfour Beatty’s software solutions complement our hardware products and are compatible with other third-party systems and provide infrastructure owners, maintainers and operators with information to help create informed decisions in real-time or for long terms strategic planning.