The Balfour Beatty Construction project team working on the Fort Jackson Starship Barracks renovation and Quad Dining Facility in South Carolina received a 2012 Liberty Mutual Safety Award. The award honours the team for a year without an OSHA recordable incident.
“This award is a great honour and testament to the hard work and thoughtfulness of the entire project team,” said Kent Long, Balfour Beatty Construction Senior Vice President and Federal Business Leader. “With the compilation of complex renovation work and new construction, as well as a very sloped site, the project had some unique challenges, but the team worked very hard throughout to mitigate any project risks and stay focused on delivering a quality project safely.”
Liberty Mutual chose this project as the award recipient because the team and subcontractor partners recorded more than 180,000 hours of work from October 2011 through October 2012 without a single recordable accident. Liberty Mutual sponsors a variety of programs and awards aimed at increasing awareness of occupational safety and health and enhancing workplace safety worldwide.
The safety award is the latest in a series of impressive project milestones.
On September 14, Brigadier General Bryan Roberts hosted a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Quad Dining Facility, the Army’s largest single dining facility in the United States. It features four separate and distinct dining areas, separated into two buildings constructed back-to-back. It is designed to serve 5,200 soldiers breakfast, lunch, and dinner 365 days a year, in three successive 30-minute seatings per meal. Food service capabilities include:
- Approximately 4,800-5,700 lbs of potatoes can be peeled in 8 hours
- Four stand mixers make 240 quarts of mashed potatoes per batch
- Six tilting skillets make 240 gallons of soup at a time
- Sixteen gas griddles cook 640 pancakes or hamburgers at one time, or 7,680 each hour
- Sixteen toasters can produce 11,520 slices of toast or 5,760 toasted hamburger buns each hour
- Two coffee brewers can brew 17,280 cups of coffee over 8 hours
- Four dishwashers wash 42,444 dishes an hour
The energy-efficient dining facility, with 42% water savings and 34% energy savings as compared to EPACT 2005, receives 30% of its domestic hot water demand from solar heating.
Balfour Beatty’s scope of work for the dining facility included demolition of five temporary barracks and a covered training area within the new building footprint, and relocation of existing underground infrastructure.
The Starship Barracks renovation included converting existing dining areas into classrooms, renovating existing administrative/battalion headquarter areas, a new electrical substation with site work improvements, and installation of secondary electrical equipment that will provide additional power capacity for base operations.
Balfour Beatty Construction
Tel. +1 214 451 1066
Notes to editors:
- A leader in the U.S. commercial construction industry, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services through more than 2,400 professionals nationwide. The company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering-News Record and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine, each for three years in a row. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global leader in professional services, construction services, support services, and infrastructure investments, with more than $18 billion in annual revenues.
- Balfour Beatty is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
- We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
- Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
- The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
- Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.