Five Balfour Beatty Construction projects earned 2012 Excellence in Construction awards from the Carolinas Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC). The winning buildings are high-profile new construction and renovation projects in North Carolina’s higher education, multifamily and commercial markets.
The East Carolina School of Dentistry and Duke Energy Headquarters Interiors projects received first-in-category Eagle Awards. In recognition of Duke Energy’s unsurpassed integration of sustainable design and construction practices, the ABC also awarded the project with its Carolinas Green Award, an honour given to a single project that has employed environmentally “green” building techniques to achieve long-term sustainability. In April, 2012, the Duke Energy Center received LEED Core and Shell Platinum certification from the United States Green Building Council.
Here is more information about the project awards referenced above:
East Carolina University School of Dentistry – Recognised in the Schools $25-50 Million category: Located in Greenville, North Carolina, the School of Dentistry will help ease a statewide shortage of dentists, improve the status of dental health in North Carolina, while adding an innovative technological component to dental education. The state-of-the-art, sustainable school is currently pursuing LEED Silver certification. In receiving the Eagle Award, Balfour Beatty Construction was recognised for creatively solving challenges related to the extensive coordination of the school’s advanced dental equipment.
Duke Energy Headquarters Interiors – Recognised in the Interiors Over $50 Million category: Balfour Beatty Construction provided preconstruction and construction services for Duke Energy’s 276,936-square-foot office space encompassing twelve floors in the Duke Energy Center, located in uptown Charlotte. Utilising “Workplace of the Future” principles, Balfour Beatty Construction built a space that emphasises comfort, engenders creativity and encourages collaboration.
Three other Balfour Beatty Construction projects also won Awards of Merit: Guilford County Detention Center, Mosaic Village at Johnson C. Smith University and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro Quad Renovation. Up to three projects in each category are eligible to receive Awards of Merit.
"These projects are outstanding examples of the innovation and commitment to superior craftsmanship that embody Balfour Beatty Construction’s ‘signature construction experience’", said Pat Dean, division president for Balfour Beatty Construction in the Carolinas. "These awards are a testament to the work of every team member involved, who ensure that each project receives a level of client service and operational performance that is unsurpassed in our industry."
ABC is the nation's leading commercial and industrial construction trade association. ABC Excellence in Construction Awards competitions encourage and recognise individuals and companies that exemplify the high quality of merit shop workmanship in their projects while upholding a dedication to building projects on time and under budget.
Balfour Beatty Construction Services US
Tel. +1 704 319 4122
Notes to Editors:
- A leader in the US commercial construction industry, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services through more than 2,400 professionals nationwide. The company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering-News Record and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine, each for three years in a row. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global leader in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments, with more than $18 billion in annual revenues. To learn more about the company visit balfourbeattyus.com.
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
- We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
- Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
- The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
- Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.