Balfour Beatty Construction, in a tri-venture partnership with D.H. Griffin Construction and C2 Contractors, has been selected as construction manager at-risk for North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University’s (NC A&T) new, state-of-the-art, 175,000-square-foot Student Union in Greensboro, North Carolina. This is the largest project on NC A&T’s campus in recent years as well as one of the largest on a historically black university (HBU) in the Southeast region.
A beacon for the campus, the Student Union facility will be a modern, glass-fronted structure bridging green space from the University’s Aggie Village Green to Aggie Stadium. It will provide improved and expanded student dining, meeting, recreation/entertainment, lounge, and study areas, along with retail space. The project is being planned and designed as a LEED certified facility.
The development will include significant site work and landscape development, such as existing surface parking reconfiguration, underground utility relocation, storm water management, and street improvements. The project also encompasses demolition of the University’s existing 67,000-square-foot Student Union, which was built in 1969 and last renovated in 2000.
The construction team has established a goal of 30% participation for minority and women-owned businesses (MWBE) on the project. Furthering the University’s objective to build the capacity of a valued local firm, C2 Contractors is a premier minority-owned business headquartered in Greensboro.
“I am extremely excited about the tri-venture partnership with Balfour Beatty Construction and D.H. Griffin Construction,” said CC Lamberth, president of C2 Contractors. “We will achieve the University’s MWBE goals by creating a culture of inclusion, and a two-way expectation of reliability and performance.”
Working in collaboration with C2 Contractors and D.H. Griffin Construction, Calvin Stevens, director of business development and diversity for Balfour Beatty Construction and NC A&T alumnus, will lead the project team’s efforts to meet the University’s goal of achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. In recognition of Balfour Beatty Construction’s dedication to social responsibility and minority outreach efforts, North Carolina’s Office for Historically Underutilized Businesses honoured the company’s Carolinas division with its prestigious Good Faith Effort Award earlier this year.
“Our team will carry on the University’s rich tradition of leadership and achievement with this iconic project,” said Johnny Rankin, executive vice president of Balfour Beatty Construction. “We are honoured to partner with D.H. Griffin Construction and C2 Contractors, companies that share our passion for and connection to the University.”
This project represents the fourth partnership to date for Balfour Beatty Construction and D.H. Griffin Construction in North Carolina.
“Our partnership with Balfour Beatty Construction has allowed us to bring together the best strengths of our two companies and deliver to our clients a product that meets their project-specific needs,” said Dave Hurley, president of D.H. Griffin Construction.
The tri-venture team is currently completing the project’s design phase in partnership with Raleigh-based Vines Architecture and Boston-based Cannon Design. With a construction start date targeted for February 2014, the Student Union project is expected to complete in the summer of 2017.
Balfour Beatty Construction
Tel. +1 704 319-4122
Notes to editors:
- A leader in the U.S. commercial construction industry, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services through more than 2,400 professionals nationwide. The company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering-News Record and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine, each for three years in a row. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global leader in professional services, construction services, support services, and infrastructure investments, with more than $18 billion in annual revenues.
- D.H. Griffin Construction Co., LLC is a full-service construction manager and general contractor based in Raleigh, N.C. The company employs 75 professionals and has constructed over $350 million in North Carolina projects in the past five years. DHGC is part of the D.H. Griffin family of companies that also includes the nation’s second-largest demolition company, D.H. Griffin Wrecking of Greensboro, N.C.
- C2 Contractors, LLC, formed in 2007, grew from an expressed need of our clients to have high quality renovation, repair, and facility construction services. Our contracting formats range from general construction, design/build, construction management, project analysis, estimating, and value engineering. Our diverse and experienced staff is passionate about hearing your heart and creating an economically sound plan to execute your desire. No project is too large or too small for us to handle, and we value all projects and customers just the same. C2 is constantly on the rise as we thrive on providing clients with five-star service with the distinction of turnkey solutions.
- Balfour Beatty is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
- We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
- Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
- The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
- Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.