Balfour Beatty Construction and the Solana Beach School District broke ground on the new Solana Ranch Elementary School in San Diego. A ceremony held on 15 November celebrated the official start of construction on the $27.6 million project, which is the seventh elementary school in the District.
The project totals more than 68,000 square feet of building space on 11.65 acres. It includes the construction of a two-story, 60,143 square foot classroom building, a one-story 5,233 square foot multi-purpose building, and a one story 2,935 square foot child development center preschool. Site work will also include construction of parking lots, a solar canopy, a covered lunch shelter, playgrounds, ball fields, an amphitheater and a garden area.
"Our team is honoured and excited to break ground on yet another high performance school for this valued client and partner,” said Brian Cahill, Division President for Balfour Beatty Construction.
When completed, Solana Ranch Elementary School will be the second elementary school Balfour Beatty Construction will have constructed for the District. The contractor completed Solana Pacific Elementary school in 2004, and has also completed modernisation projects at Solana Vista and Skyline Elementary and a classroom addition at Solana Highlands Elementary.
The estimated date of completion for the new school is March 2014, with classes beginning in the new facility in the fall of 2014.
Several sustainable features are being incorporated into the project and include energy efficient lighting, mechanical and passive ventilation systems, solar panels, day lighting and more.
Balfour Beatty Construction’s project team includes Grace Chan, project manager; Bryan Rasmussen, superintendent; Molly Engelbert, project engineer and Melissa Frazar, project accountant. The architect for the project is Harley Ellis Devereaux.
Balfour Beatty Construction
Tel. +1 214 451 1066
Notes to Editors:
- A leader in the U.S. commercial construction industry, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services through more than 2,400 professionals nationwide. The company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering-News Record and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine, each for three years in a row. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global leader in professional services, construction services, support services, and infrastructure investments, with more than $18 billion in annual revenues. To learn more about the company visit balfourbeattyus.com
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
- We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
- Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
- The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
- Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.