Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, has been awarded a construction management contract to deliver the ‘Runway 5L/23R Replacement Programme’ at Raleigh-Durham International Airport in North Carolina.
Forming a part of Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority’s 25 year master plan, Balfour Beatty will deliver a new primary runway and transform the existing runway into a taxiway. In addition, the company will relocate a portion of Lumley Road in Raleigh to accommodate the new runway location.
The most significant capital project at Raleigh-Durham International Airport, the project will move the runway nearly 500 feet to the northwest and allow for future expansion of the airport’s flagship Terminal 2 concourse.
Trent Johnson, Balfour Beatty Project Executive in Raleigh, said: “We are honoured to continue our 10-year partnership with the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority through the construction of their new 5L/23R runway replacement project.
“Aviation is a strong market sector for our Southeast operations, and our team members are excited to build on this expertise while staying committed to delivering our client’s goals. We look forward to utilising our company’s unique Buildings and Civils operations, and technology and innovation techniques to safely and efficiently deliver a new airfield that will further expand and enhance the travelling experience for RDU’s customers.”
In addition to the 5L/23R Runway Replacement Programme, Balfour Beatty is currently delivering the airport’s West Remain Over Night aircraft parking apron and Runway Slab Replacement projects.
Works will begin once the airport completes the Environmental Assessment process, which is currently in progress with the Federal Aviation Administration.
At construction peak, the project will employ a direct management team of 20 and a wider workforce of approximately 1,000.
For more information on RDU construction projects, please visit airportprojects.net/rdu-ea/.
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group with 26,000 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 112 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain’s biggest road project; Hong Kong’s HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5 mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
About Balfour Beatty US:
- We finance, Balfour Beatty is an industry-leading provider of general contracting, at-risk construction management and design-build services for public and private sector clients across the United States. Performing heavy civil and vertical construction, the company is part of Balfour Beatty plc (LSE: BBY), a leading international infrastructure group that provides innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth.
- Consistently ranked among the nation’s largest contractors, Balfour Beatty is the No. 6 Domestic Building Contractor in the United States as ranked by Engineering News-Record. To learn more, visit balfourbeattyus.com