Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, has this week been awarded a place on two Frameworks totalling £4 billion in value, to construct and refurbish educational buildings across England for the Education Funding Agency (EFA).
The frameworks cover the North and South, and each has an anticipated spend of £2 billion over four years. They are designed to ensure that new and refurbished buildings supplied to the EFA are of standardised, high quality design and meet energy consumption, day lighting and security targets.
One aspect of delivery will be the use of BIM (Building Information Modelling) during design and construction. This will optimise value for money and provide design solutions with the lowest whole life cost; an area in which Balfour Beatty excels and has been used in a number of its school projects to date.
Balfour Beatty has a strong track record in delivering projects for the Education Funding Agency and secured in excess of £240 million of projects through the predecessor NAF 2 Framework, including Ormiston North and Ormiston South Batches, Enfield Oasis Academy, King’s Lynn Academy, Staffordshire Academy, Durand Academy and Thetford Academy.
Nicholas Pollard, Chief Executive Officer, Balfour Beatty Construction Services UK, said: “It is a tremendous privilege to be invited onto these Frameworks, and be given the opportunity to deliver many new and refurbished school buildings across England.
“Our people are able to offer design and build solutions which are second to none in the sector and we look forward to delivering first class school buildings for the Education Funding Agency and those students and teachers who occupy them.”
This week Balfour Beatty also announced its appointment to the Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s £250 million Regional Framework for Capital Works Projects for East Midlands and Eastern England.
Tel. +44 (0)20 7963 2150
Notes to editors:
1. More information can be found on Balfour Beatty’s appointment to the Defence Infrastructure Organisation’s Regional Framework for Capital Works Projects for East Midlands and Eastern England by clicking here.
2. The Education Funding Agency framework is for the build and refurbishment of schools including state independent schools (such as free schools and academies), local authority maintained schools and voluntary aided or controlled schools. It also includes wider education and community facilities such as 16-19 education facilities, Sure Start, Early Years and Day Care, as well as libraries, health and leisure facilities where they complement educational facilities.
There are eight other contractors on each framework. More information can be found by clicking here.
3. Balfour Beatty has extensive experience in the education sector. As well as being on the Education Funding Agency Frameworks, it executed the UK's first grouped schools PFI project in Stoke, the Hertfordshire BSF and developed the Retained Estates Evaluation Process (REEP) for Oldham BSF. Balfour Beatty has also worked with Partnership for Schools on the National Academies Framework to reduce development programme timescales, and delivered halls of residence and university campuses in Exeter, Newcastle and Bangor. By engaging with education specialists, teachers and students, and through the leading use of BIM, we aim to provide facilities that give young people the best opportunities to learn.
4. Balfour Beatty's UK construction business (www.balfourbeattycsuk.com) is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s national infrastructure and an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
We offer a broad range of capabilities in construction, civil engineering and mechanical & electrical engineering services. With offices throughout the UK, we deliver a locally-focused service with the support of our national network of expertise and resources. Balfour Beatty’s UK construction business employs 10,000 people.
5. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a global infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.