Balfour Beatty today announces that it has secured a c. £50 million contract to deliver essential upgrade works to London Underground’s Piccadilly line.
The contract is the first of several packages to be let under the new ‘London Underground High Voltage (HV) Power framework’, to which Balfour Beatty was appointed to earlier this year. The framework will run for a period of six years, with a potential to extend by a further two years.
Balfour Beatty will be responsible for the design, supply and installation of new assets along the Piccadilly line to support the increase in ‘Traction Power’ required to run the next generation of trains which will be introduced from 2025.
On completion, the scheme will also support a 23 per cent increase in capacity on the Piccadilly line at the busiest times, with new, longer trains scheduled every 135 seconds from 2027.
Works will include the renewal and replacement of aging assets such as High Voltage and Low Voltage Switchboards along with new HV Cables at several substations across the Piccadilly line including Cockfosters, Hyde Park Corner, Northfields, Sudbury Hill and Leicester Square.
Matthew Steele, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Rail & Utilities business, said: “This latest contract award is a significant achievement, building on our 19-year relationship with London Underground. It is testament to our unrivalled capability and deep domain knowledge in delivering underground rail works.”
“Once complete, the programme will transform travel for thousands of passengers each day and ensure that the London Underground can continue to run a reliable and safe service for many more years to come.”
Works are due to commence this month, with completion expected in 2025. At construction peak, the company will employ approximately 80 people, with 10% of its workforce made up of apprentices and graduates.
Media enquiries to:
+44 (0)203 810 2345
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with 24,500 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 113 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including: the £1.5 billion A14 improvement scheme - Britain's biggest road project; Hong Kong's HK$5.5 billion world-class harbour theatre project for the West Kowloon Cultural District Authority; and the 12.5-mile $429 million North Metro Commuter Rail line in Colorado, US.
- Balfour Beatty is one of the UK’s leading rail infrastructure suppliers. From feasibility studies, planning and design through to implementation and asset management, we provide multi-disciplinary rail infrastructure services across the lifecycle of rail assets. Our expertise covers electrification, track, power, civils, specialist rail plant, railway systems and technologies.
- Balfour Beatty also provides a comprehensive range of on-track machines for track geometry improvements and general track works. Our fleet of modern ‘Tampers’ consist of plain line machines and switches and crossing units. Along with our expert operators and support staff these machines ensure track quality for our customers.