Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today announces it has been awarded a Crossrail contract by Network Rail for the electrification of a 12.5 mile section of the Great Western Main Line.
The contract covers the installation of new overhead line electrification equipment on all lines between Stockley Junction (near Heathrow Airport) and Maidenhead on the Crossrail West Outer section. It also includes supporting ancillary civils and power works.
This contract builds on Balfour Beatty's existing involvement in the Crossrail programme and follows the award earlier this year of the Track Infrastructure contract for the same section in the West Outer area.
Innovations being introduced by Balfour Beatty for this latest contract include new and enhanced plant solutions including Balfour Beatty’s new High Output Wiring Train which offers safer, more efficient installation of overhead lines.
Balfour Beatty Chief Executive, Andrew McNaughton said:
“We are delighted to be awarded this contract and very much look forward to continuing our long-term relationship with Network Rail and continued support with the Crossrail programme.
“Our investments in specialist High Output plant solutions for these works confirm our ongoing commitment to the UK rail market and, in particular to the National Electrification Programme.”
Works commence on site in December 2013 and are due for completion in late 2016.
Balfour Beatty plc
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7216 6924
Tel. +44 (0) 20 7379 5151
Notes to editors:
1. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world
2. Balfour Beatty’s Crossrail contracts to date include:
- South East Section
- West Outer Track Infrastructure
- Package C421 – Advance Station Works – Tottenham Court Road (joint venture with Morgan Sindall)
- Package C510 – Station Tunnels East (BBMV joint venture with ALPINE BeMo Tunnelling, Morgan Sindall and Vinci Construction)
- Package C512 – Whitechapel Station Main Works (BMV joint venture with Morgan Sindall and Vinci Construction)