Balfour Beatty today announces that it has been awarded a £42 million contract by National Grid to construct the Little Horsted Substation Grid Supply Point in East Sussex, UK.
The two year contract will see Balfour Beatty design and build a new 400 kilovolt substation as well as two new terminal towers which will support the electrical conductors transmitting the high-voltage electricity to the Little Horsted Substation Grid Supply Point.
Once complete, the new substation will form a key part of National Grid’s ‘Little Horsted Connection Project’ which will allow local electricity distributer, UK Power Networks, to connect with the National Grid – improving the electricity supply in East Sussex.
As part of its commitment to leaving a lasting, positive legacy for the communities in which it operates, Balfour Beatty will look to engage a workforce from the local, surrounding area and will also plant approximately 500 trees during the construction programme.
Ian Currie, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission and Distribution business said: “As one of the leading high voltage substation suppliers in the UK, we are perfectly positioned to deliver the Little Horsted Substation Grid Supply Point.
“Building on our longstanding and successful relationship with National Grid, this latest contract will see us improve the power supply in East Sussex, and help provide the UK with the grid connectivity required to meet increased future demand.”
Works are due to commence in early 2024 with completion expected in Autumn 2025. At peak, the project will employ a workforce of up to 120 people including a number of apprenticeship and graduate positions.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
About Balfour Beatty
- Balfour Beatty is a leading international infrastructure group with over 25,000 employees driving the delivery of powerful new solutions, shaping thinking, creating skylines and inspiring a new generation of talent to be the change-makers of tomorrow.
- We finance, develop, build, maintain and operate the increasingly complex and critical infrastructure that supports national economies and deliver projects at the heart of local communities.
- Over the last 114 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world. Currently, we are working to deliver Hinkley Point C, the first UK nuclear power station in a generation; constructing the world-class arts and cultural facility, the Lyric Theatre, in Hong Kong; and designing, building, financing, operating and maintaining the Automated People Mover superstructure at the fifth busiest airport in the world, Los Angeles International Airport.
- Balfour Beatty’s Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions across the full spectrum of the electricity grid, including overhead lines, cabling, substations and distribution networks.
- From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the UK’s most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.