Balfour Beatty has been awarded a £10m contract by Chiltern District Council to extend Amersham town centre’s multi-storey car park. The contract was procured through the Scape National Civil Engineering and Infrastructure framework.
Balfour Beatty will construct the new five-storey facility, providing an additional 502 parking spaces for Amersham’s existing 680 space car park which is currently at full capacity. Additional amenities will include a lift service, electric car charge points and extensive CCTV.
Whilst Balfour Beatty is undertaking the extension, the existing car park will remain operational with a new temporary entrance created to maintain access. The current car park access routes will also be modified to minimise any disruption to the public.
Building Information Modelling (BIM) was employed during the design phase to visualise the completed structure and to demonstrate the operational running of the completed car park, while also improving logistics efficiency and workforce safety.
Balfour Beatty has worked in collaboration with Chiltern District Council under the Scape National Civil Engineering and Infrastructure framework since May 2016, having been appointed as the sole contractor to the £1.5bn framework which was open to any publicly funded organisation in January 2015. Early collaboration, made possible by the Scape procurement route, including feasibility reports, design meetings and joint value engineering and risk workshops, enabled Balfour Beatty to progress rapidly to the construction stage, mitigate risks and provide the Council with a cost effective design.
Jonathan Winter, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Regional South business, said: “I look forward to working alongside Chiltern District Council to deliver Amersham’s multi-storey car park extension, providing much needed additional parking capacity for the local area and London commuters.”
Cllr Mike Smith, Chiltern District Council’s Cabinet Member for Environment, said: “This represents a multi-million pound investment for Amersham and its surrounding communities at no cost to the local tax payer as the income from the charges will pay for the development over time.”
Victoria Brambini, Managing Director of Scape Procure, said: “This project will deliver much needed new infrastructure to Amersham’s town centre. Working in collaboration with Balfour Beatty through our framework, Chiltern District Council have achieved the most cost effective design, the lowest risk, as well as savings associated with engaging with Balfour Beatty from the earliest stage.
“The development will provide the local community with a much needed new car park, while providing routes into employment for apprentices and graduates through work placement and training opportunities.”
Work will start on site this autumn and is due for completion by the winter of 2018. At peak construction, the project will employ a workforce of 50 and offer seven work placement opportunities as well as three training opportunities for apprentices and graduates supporting Balfour Beatty’s commitment to The 5% Club, a UK-employer led initiative focused on driving momentum behind the recruitment of apprentices and graduates into the workforce.
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 30,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Far East. Over the last 100 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s UK and Ireland regional construction business is a leading integrator of complex, sophisticated and innovative projects that improve the UK’s and Ireland’s national infrastructure and an experienced provider of local and regional projects that help build lasting communities.
- The company has been operating in the South of England for over a century, providing the company with its first commission in 1909 to operate the tramway network in Kent and Bedfordshire.
- Significant projects in the Company’s current portfolio in the South include the £19m renovation and extension of the Grade II listed Bristol Fry Building, which will provide state-of-the-art mathematic facilities for The University of Bristol, the £170m baggage screening and handling systems upgrade for Heathrow Airport Limited, the £5m link road from St Clements way to London Road in Dartford and the £82.5m F-35 contract at RAF Marham, to build engineering and training facilities in readiness for the arrival of the UK’s first F-35 Lightning II aircraft in 2018.
- Iconic projects of the past delivered in the South include the construction of three new hangars and ancillary buildings for RAF Brize Norton, the extension and refurbishment of Bristol Airport’s Terminal 1 to transform the security search process for airport passengers, and the 3.3Km Woodside Link road scheme in Bedfordshire, to ease congestion and unlock accessibility to employment in North Houghton.
- Scape Group is a public-sector organisation, dedicated to creating ongoing efficiency and social value via the built environment. Scape and its subsidiaries offer fully managed frameworks, property services, innovative design solutions, community investment opportunities and joint ventures.
- By bringing together the strongest teams from the public and private sectors, Scape’s rapidly deployed, highly measurable and collaborative approach delivers value for money and quality buildings whilst stimulating local economic growth and community enrichment. Scape operates with a buying capacity of £13bn and has helped to deliver over 2,400 public sector projects with more than 1,700 currently in progress.