Balfour Beatty today announces that it has been awarded a £108 million contract on behalf of Highways England to design and build a critical dual carriageway linking the M67 with the A57 in Mottram Moor, Greater Manchester.
Forming a key part of Highways England’s Regional Investment Programme, which Balfour Beatty was appointed to in 2018 through the Delivery Integration Partnership Framework, Balfour Beatty will design and construct a new dual and single lane carriageway as well as an underpass underneath Mottram Village. The work aims to tackle congestion between Manchester and Sheffield while also reconnecting local communities divided by a busy road network.
Throughout the project duration, Balfour Beatty will significantly contribute to the local economy and community. Activities will include community engagement through school and employment workshops; reducing energy and fuel usage on site with the use of hybrid electric plant machinery, as well as minimising waste on site and reducing potable water usage with tailored recycling programmes.
Phil Clifton, Managing Director of Balfour Beatty’s Highways business, said: “Balfour Beatty, and our design partners, Atkins, are proud to be delivering this critical project to support economic growth in the North of England.
“We are pleased to contribute to the development of the local area by connecting communities and bringing additional social value through the use of local suppliers and supporting employment opportunities within the area; helping to leave a lasting legacy in the communities in which we work.”
Early design works are due to commence this summer and construction work is scheduled to start by spring 2023. At construction peak, Balfour Beatty will employ a workforce of 200 of which 10% will be graduates or apprentices.
Media enquiries to:
All non-media related enquiries should be directed to +44 (0)20 7216 6800 or email@example.com
Notes to editors:
- Balfour Beatty (com) is a leading international infrastructure group. With 26,000 employees, we provide innovative and efficient infrastructure that underpins our daily lives, supports communities and enables economic growth. We finance, develop, build and maintain complex infrastructure such as transportation, power and utility systems, social and commercial buildings.
- Our main geographies are the UK, US and Hong Kong. Over the last 110 years we have created iconic buildings and infrastructure all over the world including the London Olympics’ Aquatic Centre, Hong Kong’s first Zero Carbon building, the National Museum of the Marine Corps in the US and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link.
- Balfour Beatty’s highways business designs, constructs and manages many of the UK’s major highways. The business also delivers complex Design Build Finance Operate and Early Contractor Involvement schemes.
- Through constant innovation and the use of cutting-edge technology, Balfour Beatty supports clients to deliver optimal highways experiences to the travelling public, better connecting communities and creating more reliable and safer journeys. From project conception through to completion, Balfour Beatty has a continued focus on future proofing its schemes. This includes creating smart motorways and preparing routes to welcome autonomous vehicles.
- Current projects include Balfour Beatty’s £292m construction contract to widen a critical and complex 10-mile stretch of the existing A14, as part of Highways England’s £1.5bn A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon improvement scheme. The team also has extensive experience of using the latest technology to tackle congestion and is working towards the completion of Manchester Smart Motorway scheme M62 junctions 18-20 and M60 junctions 8-10.
- Recently completed Highways schemes include the £70m dualling scheme to upgrade a 2.5 mile section of the A21 in Kent from single to dual carriageway. The project has delivered a safer and more streamlined route for the travelling public, also supporting the local economy in this area of Kent.