Leo Quinn was appointed to the Board of Balfour Beatty as Group Chief Executive in January 2015, returning to the company where he started his career as a civil engineer. He was educated at Portsmouth University and Imperial College, London.
Leo joined the Group following five years as Group Chief Executive of QinetiQ Group plc and five years as CEO of De La Rue plc. He led both companies through successful transformations which restored each business to strength and created over £1bn of value in each case.
Prior to that, Leo spent almost four years headquartered in the US as COO of Invensys plc’s $3bn Production Management division. He also worked with Honeywell Inc for 16 years in various senior management roles across the US, UK, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, ending as Global President of H&BC Enterprise Solutions.
A passionate believer in skills training, Leo founded The 5% Club which encourages companies to invest in the next generation and address the national skills shortage. It's members aspire to build a workforce where at least 5% of employees are either apprentices, sponsored students or graduates in formal training programmes.
In 2021, Leo’s contribution to business was recognised through his appointment as a visiting professor at the College of Business and Social Science at Aston University.
A summary of the role of Group Chief Executive includes the following:
- Executive leadership
- Strategy development and the stewardship of physical, financial and human resources
- Group operational and financial performance
- Health, safety and environmental performance
- Corporate culture, embodied in values, ethics and social responsibility
- Organisational structure, succession and talent management, including objective setting for the senior management team
- Major capital expenditure prioritisation and allocation of resources
- Consideration of acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and financing
- Stakeholder management.