Balfour Beatty Construction receives industry awards for two California projects
02 May 2013
Balfour Beatty Construction received industry recognition from the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), San Diego Post and the San Diego Chapter of the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA) for two projects in California.
On 10 April, the Society of American Military Engineers, San Diego Post awarded the Special Operations Forces Combatant Crew Training Facility at NAB Coronado a “Project of Excellence” award in the Buildings and Structures Category during a special luncheon at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. This awards program recognises outstanding project contributions and leadership by local SAME members in supporting the mission of the United States Armed Forces in the planning, design and construction of regional military projects.
The CMAA, San Diego Chapter awarded Hemet High School in the Hemet Unified School District a “Project Achievement Award” in the Program Management / Buildings category during the organisation’s Annual Awards Banquet held on 25 April at the Mission Valley Marriott in San Diego. This award recognises excellence in the management of the construction process.
Special Operations Forces Combatant Crew Training Facility at NAB Coronado: SAME Project of Excellence Award
The $9.4 million Naval Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman (SWCC) Training Facility on the Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, Calif. provides training and boat support facilities for SWCCs, a component of Naval Special Warfare. The 35,800 SF two-story project includes a 21,100 SF main building that houses classrooms, offices, locker rooms, laundry facilities, medical exam room, weapons/parts storage rooms and a conference room; and the adjacent 14,700 SF boat storage high bay area provides boat maintenance and storage facilities for Navy vessels. The facility is designed per Anti-Terrorism Force Protection (ATFP) standards and to meet a required LEED® Silver certification from the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). The project team went over and above this requirement and achieved LEED Gold certification.
The training conducted in this facility includes Basic Crewman Training (BCT) which provides essential training, development and assessment of SWCC candidates in physical conditioning, water competency, basic seamanship, boat handling, teamwork and mental tenacity. Crewman Qualification Training (CQT) is also conducted here and includes mission planning and maintenance and operation of combatant water assets. Additional training includes maritime navigation, communications, waterborne patrolling techniques, marksmanship and engineering skills.
Design services were provided by KMA Architecture & Engineering of San Diego and the contract was awarded and managed by the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, Southwest Division, San Diego.
Hemet High School in the Hemet Unified School District: CMAA Project Achievement Award
Balfour Beatty Construction provided construction management multi-prime services to the Hemet Unified School District to oversee a multi-phased project of modernising Hemet High School for a total project value of $41.3 million. The school is the oldest high school in the District and services 2,500 students from grade 9 through 12.
Construction on the modernisation projects started in February 2008 and completed in August 2012 and included the following:
- New 45,262 square foot two story classroom building
- New 23,424 square foot science building
- New 18,806 square foot, 500 seat performing arts building and converting the existing theatre into a commons area
- New 4,000 square foot weight room building
- New 1,722 square foot barn, 1,230 square foot greenhouse, and 816 square foot shade structure for the agricultural department
- New 1,791 square foot electrical building and generator
The project also included the demolition of two non-conference swimming pools and replacing with one conference sanctioned pool; modernising the boys and girls locker rooms; remodelling the 7,288 square foot administration building while also building an additional 5,820 of new administrative office space; reconfiguring the administration parking lot and student drop off; modernising the power shop for the agricultural and auto departments; updating and replacing existing infrastructure throughout the campus; installing a new courtyard with three new Shade Structures adjacent to the new two-story classroom building and a new student drop off loop; with various demolition work.
Balfour Beatty Construction
Tel. +1 (214) 451 1066
Notes to editors:
1. An industry leader for more than 80 years, Balfour Beatty Construction provides general contracting, at-risk construction management, and design-build services for a wide variety of markets, serving clients in both the public and private sector. With more than 2,400 employees across the U.S., the company has been cited as a Top 10 Green Builder by Engineering News-Record, and as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For® by FORTUNE magazine, four years in a row. The company is part of London-based Balfour Beatty plc, a global infrastructure services business operating in more than 80 countries, with a worldwide commitment to providing assets that help societies function, develop, and thrive. To learn more about the company, visit www.balfourbeattyus.com.
2. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is an international infrastructure group that delivers world class services essential to the development, creation and care of infrastructure assets; from finance and development, through design and project management to construction and maintenance.
Our businesses draw on more than 100 years of experience to deliver the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise to our clients principally in the UK, the US, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. We continue to develop our business in key growth markets in South Africa, Australia, Canada, Brazil and India.
With proven expertise in delivering infrastructure critical to support communities and society today and in the future, our key market sectors include transportation (roads, rail and aviation), power and energy, mining, water and social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.