Sustainable supply chain
We believe that sustainability is a collective responsibility. We therefore look to our supply chain partners to play their role in helping us turn our vision for a sustainable future into reality.
Our procurement decisions are based on best value and consider the optimum combination of whole life costs and benefits. We consider the environmental, social and economic impact of all our activities.
We need our supply chain partners to support us in achieving best value for money and to improve sustainable outcomes for our customers.
We aim to improve sustainable outcomes for our business and our customers through a high performing supply chain.
We are committed to reducing the environmental impact of our work. This includes:
- Working to reduce the key environmental impacts of supply chain operations and ensure legal compliance.
- Sourcing products, materials and services ethically through recognised standards.
- Minimising waste and material use and give preference to materials products and services with greatest circular-economy benefits.
- Reducing the energy use of our projects and quantify the embodied carbon of key materials.
- Protecting and enhancing the biodiversity of our sites and managing the environmental impact of the products and materials we use.
- Reducing impacts on air quality by controlling dust and harmful emissions.
- Improving our combined capability to deliver sustainable outcomes.
Together with our supply chain, we will positively impact local communities by:
- Engaging positively with communities and working to avoid disruption to local people.
- Offering small and medium enterprises, social enterprises and local businesses the opportunity to participate in our supply chain.
- Working with suppliers who actively manage diversity and inclusion in their workforce.
- Recruiting locally and providing opportunities for graduates, trainees, apprenticeships and work experience placements.
- Implementing a proactive approach to tackling hidden labour exploitation and eliminate these practices in our wider supply chain.
All of our suppliers, sub-contractors and consultants are expected to do what is necessary to identify where they can play a positive role in helping us achieve our sustainability goals. Our mutual success and continuing business relationship depends on collective commitment to our Blueprint for a Sustainable Business.
The policy is to be applied where relevant and proportionate to the materials, works or services being provided. Our Policy Guidance Document sets out the minimum requirements for Balfour Beatty UK suppliers and sub-contractors to support us in meeting our sustainability goals.
Our Sustainability Blueprint in action: