Balfour Beatty launches first Groupwide Sustainability Month
1 May, 2012
Balfour Beatty, the international infrastructure group, today launches a groupwide Sustainability Month, entitled “Together for Tomorrow”, to showcase the Company’s progress against its 2020 sustainability vision.
The initiative, which is the first of its kind for the Company, will see individuals from across Balfour Beatty’s operating companies engage in a range of activities to celebrate sustainability and help raise awareness of important environmental and community issues. These include:
- The introduction of a new CO2 limit of 140g/km on all Balfour Beatty five seater company cars in the UK, reducing the overall environmental impact of its fleet
- A ‘Power-down’ initiative driven by the Company’s energy management consultancy Power Efficiency that will engage staff in energy saving activities each week
- A "Dragons’ Den" style competition to help promote sustainability projects among young people in schools in the North of England
- Volunteering programmes for staff and senior management at Balfour Beatty plc in London with the Company’s ‘Building Better Futures” charity partners Action for Children, Coram and The Princes Trust
- An “eco-engaged” Olympics contest in the US construction business to increase levels of sustainability engagement and awareness among staff.
Balfour Beatty’s Chief Executive, Ian Tyler, said:
“Sustainability is at the heart of Balfour Beatty’s business strategy and inherent in the way we work. For me and all our people this means working in partnership with our clients to create a profitable and ethical infrastructure business for the long term. It also means enhancing the communities we work in and delivering sustainable infrastructure for society.”
Mike Peasland, CEO for Balfour Beatty Construction Services UK and Global Chair, Sustainability Working Group, added:
“We need to continue to put sustainability at the heart of our business and Sustainability Month will help us to do this. I am delighted that we have such a high level of engagement across our business.”
You can find out more about Balfour Beatty’s Sustainability Vision and Sustainability Month here:
Tel: +44 (0) 207 216 6911
Download Sustainability Month logo and icons (ZIP 4.8Mb)
Notes to Editors:
1. Balfour Beatty (www.balfourbeatty.com) is a world-class infrastructure group with capabilities in professional services, construction services, support services and infrastructure investments.
We work in partnership with our customers principally in the UK, continental Europe, the US, South-East Asia, Australia and the Middle East, who value the highest levels of quality, safety and technical expertise.
Key infrastructure markets include transportation (roads, rail and airports); social infrastructure (education, specialist healthcare, and various types of accommodation); utilities (water, gas and power transmission and generation) and commercial (offices, leisure and retail).
The Group delivers services essential to the development, creation and care of these infrastructure assets including project design, financing and management, engineering and construction, and facilities management services.
Balfour Beatty employs 50,000 people around the world.