Balfour Beatty provides a range of consultancy services across the full lifecycle of projects including planning, implementation and subsequent operation and maintenance.
Our consultancy services include:
We provide railway infrastructure engineering from feasibility through outline and detailed design to construction design liaison and testing and commissioning support.
Our in-house design expertise covers track, electrification, traction power and mechanical and electrical design.
As well as providing design and engineering services to our own design and build projects, we also work directly for railway infrastructure customers and other design houses requiring specialist railway system capability.
A key aspect of the design expertise that we offer to our customers is constructability through design. Our strong construction background enables us to ensure that construction requirements such as stagework planning are considered from early concept design right through to detailed design.
Examination, assessment and feasibility
We provide a dedicated engineering service specialising in the design, assessment, access management and examination of rail and highways assets and infrastructure.
We can offer support to procurement teams during the tendering process and implementation teams during construction.
Permanent way consultancy services
We provide international design solutions for mainline, heavy haul, depots and sidings, tunnels, viaducts and bridges, metro and tramway applications.
From feasibility studies to detailed design for manufacture and installation aspects of any job enabling the identification and resolution of functional and inter-disciplinary issues at the earliest opportunity.
Traction power & distribution engineering consultancy
We offer feasibility studies, specifications, designs and procurement, inspection and installation and commissioning support for railway traction power infrastructure for the full range of systems required in main line, metro and light rail projects.
Our capability covers all phases of the project lifecycle and our solutions include 1500V and 750V d.c. systems and 25kV a.c. systems. We can work to any UK, European or International standards and codes of practice required by a client or project.
Focused on asset management and maintenance, RailKonsult helps organisations to improve efficiency and performance, establish new and better processes, develop system solutions, help introduce new technology, improve skills and competence to meet changing demands.
We possess skills and knowledge in many different railway disciplines, enabling us to deliver innovative, bespoke solutions designed to ensure successful outcomes for each particular assignment.
RailKonsult has the capability to operate at both a strategic level and the practical delivery stage of change management. Our consultants understand the key drivers in the rail industry and are able to translate this knowledge into suitable change programmes that enable our clients to respond to them.
Mechanical engineering consultancy
We provide a complete end-to-end mechanical engineering solution for rail related infrastructure problems.
Our experience covers the delivery projects from initial analysis through to proof that the proposed solution works.
Our services include:
- Developing theoretical models to analyse problems
- Designing and producing monitoring systems to validate the output from the models
- Installing the monitoring system, gather data and analyse the output
- Proposing solutions
- Manufacturing and testing prototypes of design solutions, both within laboratory conditions and a railway environment.
NDT and welding
We offer a comprehensive service by providing survey, inspection, reporting, certification and repair solutions where required.
Non-Destructive Testing Services
- Ultrasonic rail testing including grooved rail (U1 to U18)
- Ultrasonic axle testing (UAT)
- Pressure vessel testing to PSSR SI:128
- Tower crane inspection & repair
- Ultrasonic aluminothermic weld testing (U6)
- Various NDT methods including magnetic particle testing (MT), dye penetrant testing (PT), visual testing (VT), radiography, eddy current testing & alternating current field measurement (ACFM)
- Welding of rails, rolling stock, aluminium & other non-ferrous materials
- Aluminothermic weld inspection
Specialist Consultancy Services
- Professional welding service
- Level III NDT consultancy services
- Bespoke NDT & welding training courses based upon ASNT-CP-189 and SNT-TC-1A, tailored to meet the client’s needs