Balfour Beatty is a global leader in gauging innovations.
We are involved in drafting gauging standards and providing expert gauging support for a wide range of customers worldwide.
For more information, see our
Our Gauging team provide a complete and comprehensive gauging service from feasibility study to high accuracy survey and site validation. Our highly experienced engineers can provide:
- Feasibility studies (new routes and/or new vehicles)
- Vehicle modelling
- VAB clearances
- HyperRoute™ analysis
- ClearRoute™ analysis
- Gauging survey optioneering
- On site verification
Utilising the latest gauging software tools we provide an efficient service tailored to individual customers’ needs. Through the use of HyperRoute™ we are able to undertake large scale projects in a fraction of the time.
ClearRoute™ is the market leading engineering software tool for calculating the clearances between railway vehicles and the infrastructure.
The software has processes for defining infrastructure and vehicles and can provide clearances between infrastructure and dynamic or static vehicles, passing clearances between a set of vehicles and stepping calculations for platforms.
- Static and dynamic gauging with vehicle models compatible with active suspensions (tilting trains) and articulation
- UIC kinematic gauging
- Compatible with all forms of data inputs including LaserSweep™
- Fully compatible with Network Rail and LUL standards
- Cost-effective alternative to Computer Aided Design approaches to gauging
- Training course available and technical support provided
ClearRoute™ was recently been updated and improved to offer more flexible levels of functionality and faster operating speeds. ClearRoute™ 2 allows rail engineers to undertake gauging and clearance analysis more effectively than ever, helping to unlock the available space of a historically restrictive railway system without the need for costly infrastructure modifications.
For more information see our
Structure Survey Editor
Structure Survey Editor was designed to assist surveyors when undertaking measurements for tunnels, bridges and platforms by providing them with a tool that lets them view, and if necessary manipulate, profile data before undertaking any design or gauging clearance work. Data can be viewed at site and integrated with other measurements, such as cant and curvature. Measurement points can be edited to correct spurious points caused for example by lighting, foliage and areas of poor reflectivity.
- A range of viewing and editing tools which support .Sc0/Xml data from an array of measurement devices
- Allows inclusion of track geometry measurements such as cant and radius
- Profiles from a whole structure survey can be viewed and edited together
- Photographic images of structures can be associated with structure profiles
- Multiple distance-base settings
- Low cost solution with no annual maintenance charges
For more information, see our